• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilstein shock bushings

Mike Self

Need a little help...the rear Bilstein HD shocks on my '73 have 140k+ miles on 'em.  They're in fine shape shock-absorber-wise, but unsurprisingly, the lower bushings are worn out.  I checked with Bilstein Tech Support and they don't have any.  They told me that an OEM Toyota shock bushing will work, and gave me a part number. 

However, before I go down that rabbit hole, do any of y'all have a source for replacement Bilstein bushings?   Turns out that those worn out bushings are one of several thumps I've been hearing when I go over tar joints, potholes etc.  I've taken care of the others, only the shock bushings remain.

TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

39 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

They told me that an OEM Toyota shock bushing will work, and gave me a part number. 

However, before I go down that rabbit hole, do any of y'all have a source for replacement Bilstein bushings?

It doesn't sound like a very deep rabbit hole, if they gave you the part number.  Could you please share that information here?

Sure, the Toyota P/N is 4853660010.  Dealership price is something like $26 for this little bushing...Neither Parts Geek or Rock Auto have the part...anyone have another source? 

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

30 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Sure, the Toyota P/N is 4853660010.  Dealership price is something like $26 for this little bushing...Neither Parts Geek or Rock Auto have the part...anyone have another source? 

Thanks, Mike.

Here's one on eBay for half that.  I am surprised it is housed in a metal sleeve.

WWW.EBAY.COM

Condition:OEM 100% GENUINE NEW PART. This item may fit left, right, or both sides, depending on vehicle specs. GRJ150R-GKTEKN GDJ150,GRJ150,KDJ150,LJ150,TRJ15# 08.2017 -. ATM,MTM: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION; NO.

EDIT-- I just noticed that my link is from a source outside of the USA and shipping is more than the part costs.

Here is a better source, with free shipping.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

5 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Never have used Partsnext but they have 162 of them at $11.26..

Only problem is they want $20.25 for shipping.  Seems like a lot of those bushings come from the Arabian peninsula...

1 hour ago, stephers said:

And you press them in with having a metal outside casing ?      Never aw a shock bushing with a metal clad body

Yep...the shock bushings on my old Renaults are the same--metal sleeve and center bushing, with rubber in between.  Sway bar bushings are the same way.

mike

• 2 months later...

I reached out to Bilstein on this, and they emailed me back and said their part number E4-B36-57B was correct for the shock model I gave them (my rears are F4-B46-0118-H103).  They sold them to me for $3.04 plus tax and shipping.  I wanted three (in case I damaged one getting it in), but the sales guy said it would only let him enter two, so he thinks they may have only had two in stock. 

I also tried searching this on Summitracing.com, and an ordering screen for this p/n came up, but it said it was special order with a 4 wk lead time.  

• Like 2

1971 Riviera 2002 ("Kate")