• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Tilt Mechanism Broken, Inner Rope Removal Struggles

dlefebvre02
Go to solution Solved by dlefebvre02,

Hello all,

Recently, the seat tilt mechanism (or in other words, the cable that controls the tilt for access to the backseat) broke on our '76. In our efforts to repair the mechanism, we have run into a challenge we can't seem to solve. We were able to remove the upper wire connector without any trouble by twisting it out of the holder on the seat, but we can't seem to do the same thing on the bottom since there isn't enough room. We've tried twisting it every which way with no luck.  Is there a trick to get this out, or do we just have to cut it? 

Also, the BMW parts diagram shows three options for the replacement:
52 10 1 805 954
52 10 1 849 586
52 10 1 855 303

I think we have the 52 10 1 855 303 based on the picture shown on Rogers' website, but if someone here could confirm that would be awesome. Also, any tips on the install?  I have linked an article below, but I did see the tip from @harold about "rolling" it over the back of the pulley.

For reference, I have also included labeled photos of an overall and close-up of the wire and broken aspects below the article.

Article:

Overall Photo:

20231008_153700.thumb.jpg.1539e2031fbb5ed9b9e1fe9377963077.jpg

Broken Wire Close Up:

20231008_153749.thumb.jpg.ef4a5f12c34b26b974021adaac18fb44.jpg

Top Close Up:

20231008_153759.thumb.jpg.3823048fa84e44b00774a6575d5a3400.jpg

Bottom Close Up:
20231008_154124.thumb.jpg.0c105e2ae4945be00fd7592861c92901.jpg

Edited by dlefebvre02

If the broken spot is accessible, you might try finding a cable splice (basically a tube with set screws on each end; insert the broken cable ends into the tube, and tighten the set screws.  There isn't a lot of tension on the cable to release the latch, so it should work.  Just put locktite on the set screws.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yep...those German horses were ridden hard and put away wet, hence all the rust in the seats!

I used a stainless-steel bicycle cable to splice the center (rusted) section of the original cable. The right (vertical) side of the cable with the impossible-to-reach hook was not rusted, so I left it intact for the horsehair to have something to chew on for the next 50-years 😁.

While you're working on your seat(s), clean the headrest posts with sandpaper/steel wool, etc. to make them work again.

SeatTiltCable.thumb.JPG.d789e9d1138eb6bd6f183d1bb2eb0180.JPG

HeadrestAfterClean.thumb.JPG.b53047992fd0b904897bb0e9e883c7a8.JPG

Who needs the latch, after all? Just remove it, if possible. They didn't have it on the 66 and early 67 cars. The only drawback is when you get in an accident, the back rest swings forward and pushes you into the steering wheel. But, if you're concerned about such things, get a  boring modern car with air bags etc. 

WOW, perfect timing for this topic !!!   The teeny tiny cable on the '74tii passenger seat finally rusted through and parted. 

Sadly, the cable break location is 5 inches above the right (vertical) side of the cable at that impossible-to-reach hook.  So that bottom end photo posted by dlefebvre02 is exactly what my aged eyes need to understand what that end connection looks like.  Much Appreciated !!

So now it's time to brainstorm a redneck fixit using a stainless bicycle cable, thanks much to John76 for that idea !!

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

• 2 months later...

Update: I figured out a solution to the issue, including easy installation of the new cable with the impossible-to-reach hook with NO modification. As the part was not critical, I decided to finish up my studies for the year before tackling the small issue with a new set of eyes. I am thinking of writing it up as a small technical article with all the pictures we took, so I will either post a link here or just update the thread when I have time tomorrow.

• Like 2

Sounds like you have it covered, but in case anyone finds this helpful...

To rebuild my recaros I used a crimper, and these connectors and some stranded wire from homedepot. If you can replace it where you can reach it, maybe you can fish thru the unreachable parts and just replace more wire.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Twidec/222PCS 8 Sizes Aluminum Crimping Loop Sleeve M1.2-M6(3/64''-1/4'') Wire Rope Sleeve Cable Crimp Ferrules for Wire Rope and Cable Assortment Kit N-019-222PCS: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
WWW.AMAZON.COM

Edited by JQ02

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

Sorry guys, life ended up getting in the way and I was never able to put the finishing touches on the article back in January. We took y'all's advice and made sure to clean up our headrest posts, and I included that in the article as well. I hope this link doesn't break in a couple years, but if it ever ends up not working you can reference the technical articles section of the forum.

• Like 1