• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle problem after installing repaired 1,2,3 distributor

Scottjeffrey
Go to solution Solved by Scottjeffrey,

HI and thanks.

Repaired, manually switched, 123 distributor installed. Set TDC with cam gear line at oil bar.

Timed car to steel ball at 1400 rpm.

Car running well though not as perfect as before removing the distributor. Not as ‘free’ if that makes any sense at all but quite well. The repair was having the improved shaft installed, which doesn’t allow oil infiltration.

And, now it will idle super low or even stall when I finish decelerating at a light or what have you. It is intermittent.

I reset my a/f screw as per weber instructions and idle set screw as well. Same issue with the idle. Any ideas?

The brake booster hose from the intake manifold does not appear to be cracked allowing an air leak.

Thank You,

Scott

Edited by Scottjeffrey
added something

1.  If you have a map curve, it needs to be off while timing.

2. Your curve in the table needs to have 25deg at 1400 rpm or the actual engine timing won't be as indicated with the light.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

41 minutes ago, Scottjeffrey said:

Timed car to steel ball at 1400 rpm.

What does this mean? did you twist the distributor to achieve this?

With a 123 you are meant to set it 'green light on' at TDC and clamp it there...all other 'adjustment' via the curveswitch

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

8 minutes ago, dlacey said:

What does this mean? did you twist the distributor to achieve this?

With a 123 you are meant to set it 'green light on' at TDC and clamp it there...all other 'adjustment' via the curveswitch

Mine is manually switched and I left it on curve 4 which was great before the removal, repair and replacement. I set it with the green light and twisted the body very little if at all when finding the steel ball at 1400 rpm with the vacuum advance line removed from the distributor and plugged.

OK, but I think you are confusing timing methods.

The "set the steel ball at xyz RPM" method is for mechanical dizzys.

The "set TDC and allow the 123electronics to do the rest" is the method for 123ignition.

You can certainly check/observe the ball position when using the 123 ignition, but you should only change the timing using the curve switch, not any further mechanical movement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

On my ‘74 tii I found, when I simply set the 123 to “green light” on installation, that timing was off by as much as 9 degrees.  In my case advanced, so that I had endless issues with rich/hot idle and very lean mid-throttle acceleration, even though the 123 dashboard showed timing was dialed in.  After months of tuning my fuel injection, I used a variable timing light to dial the dizzy till the the static number at idle matched my 123 dash (0 degrees), and the car has behaved much better ever since.  

Amazing is that the car ran as well as it did while so advanced!

• Thanks 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

13 minutes ago, dlacey said:

OK, but I think you are confusing timing methods.

The "set the steel ball at xyz RPM" method is for mechanical dizzys.

The "set TDC and allow the 123electronics to do the rest" is the method for 123ignition.

You can certainly check/observe the ball position when using the 123 ignition, but you should only change the timing using the curve switch, not any further mechanical movement.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it and will start over, lol.

Best Regards,

Scott

This is not totally correct, the light on my 123 had some "dwell" to it meaning that the actual trigger point for the electronic ignition will not be precisely set using the LED method. The way to do this is to get it ballparked and use a timing light to compare a point on the programmed curve to a timing mark on the engine, and then rotate the distributor so that those two things match perfectly. Alternatively you can just "live with it" and just run everything relative to your starting point, basically just changing static timing on top of what the 123 curve would show. 

• Thanks 2