• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38/38 Surprise

Dick R

Having participated in the discussion about opening up the manifold and port matching when doing a 38/38 upgrade ,I was invited to drive the car.

The results were beyond my expectations. Very smooth idle ,very smooth  acceleration  and  very smooth cruising. The plug color was even very good

DickR leads a charmed life.  The longevity will probably be good too

I congratulate you taking a shot at this and having such good results

What's next ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimk said:

In my past life before EFI, the 38/38 that pump squirted into both barrels.  The 32/36 I had didn't.

Yes, the 38-38 squirts into both, but it only uses one pump.  The Sync-Link kit for the 32-36 includes a new nozzle for the pump, which feeds both sides.  I find it interesting that the carb bodies have places for pumps on both sides, even though only one is used.  It seems like I've seen some sort of Toyota emissions fitting that uses the driver's side; but that's a foggy memory.  It's tempting to carefully grind off all that extra metal on the driver's side of the float bowl, but I have other things to do for my car that are a bit more important.

Just FYI you may be hurting the sale of my NIB weber 38/38.  Do not feel bad though, I just stocked up on rice and ramen and can survive another week!  After that I may be on the downward death spiral.  God Bless and wish me luck!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JWT said:

Just FYI you may be hurting the sale of my NIB weber 38/38.  Do not feel bad though, I just stocked up on rice and ramen and can survive another week!  After that I may be on the downward death spiral.  God Bless and wish me luck!

carl...tell me what you like and i'll spring for a pizza delivery for you

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, esty said:

carl...tell me what you like and i'll spring for a pizza delivery for you

WWW.R3VLIMITED.COM

General car oriented and community discussion.

ooo.. what did carl do that you're not tellin' about?

t

recyling is better than buying from Amazon

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I just installed a knockoff 38 on my 71.  converted it to manual choke because thats how my 32 36 was setup.  I port matched the intake to the carb.  140 mains, 170 air corrections f50 emul tubes all of which is a scientific wild ass guess until i drive it whilel and check the plugs.  it started up from cold with some coaxing and drove out good.  it;s a bit sluggish on the take off from a dead start but after it gets going it runs stronger than with the 32 36, a no brainer but i'll need to sort the sluggish thing

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I also use the same manual choke that I had on the 32/36.  My mains are 145, F-50 emulsions, 170 air corrections, and the big idle jet is 70, the smaller one is 55.  The only jets I changed from what came on carb were the idle jets which were originally both 45s.

The reason that I chose those idle jets is that there was an off-closed throttle at higher rpm hesitation which I thought bigger idle jets would cure.  Those were the jets I had lying around. No science involved, but that fixed the hesitation.

Mine starts really well cold or hot– better than the 32/36 did.  Takeoff from a dead start is very smooth.  Smoother idle, and a nice color plug (In my opinion).  I probably should have checked the plug color with at least one new plug.

As I had mentioned in my initial post, I did not yet port match the intake manifold to the carb. 

EFDEC751-90FB-4449-BD1F-6540A1DC6B7F_1_105_c.jpeg

I've had nothing but bad experiences with the 38/38. The carb was designed for a 6 cylinder Ford motor and lacks flexibility for our motors. It's basically all or nothing as you loose bottom end. Mileage is also awful. I have two laying around, one almost new. And, I will never even come close to considering using them again. But, there are people here who are completely fixated on them. I would be happy to give them away, but I think I will take a big "Wagner PMC " style sledgehammer to them.

• Haha 1

The 74 I purchased last May is a 35 year warehoused car, with no head and pistons seized due to rust. The Solex was in the trunk in a pile of green dust, toast. With a grand in the block (pistons, boring, etc) I was on the fence re the fuel system. E12 head (thanks Squid02!) cleaned up perfectly. Moderate engine mods, 2nd os 9.5 pistons, head moderately ported and gasket matched, stock cam, 2" exhaust, Pistons and rods balanced. Decisions, decisions....

Pulled the plug on a cheap asian 38/38, Amazon (ThunderMingo was the brand... saucy!) for $80 bucks. If it works as well as yours I will be surprised. If not I'm not out much, chuck it and get a Weber. Or something else. With body/paint/suspension/tires and wheels still to go, some decisions are a compromise.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC