• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inner Rocker substitute ideas

Jon Popaj

Hi, 

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Im new to the forums. 

Wanted to give it a go on a roundie 02 I got for a steal.

Just started working on my 02 project, I cut the rocker panels which were both rotted out beyond saving. inner and outer, frame still looks solid with minor surface rust.

Question: Is there a substitute for the inner rocker? I seen one guy weld up a square tubing but trying to hear some cheap but good ideas. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Edited by Jon Popaj

4 hours ago, Jon Popaj said:

Just started working on my 02 project, I cut the rocker panels which were both rotted out beyond saving. inner and outer, frame still looks solid with minor surface rust.

Agree with @tzei, some pics would help.  Concerned that you say you cut out both your inner and outer rockers, as the inner rockers (also referred to as sills) are structural.  

I welded in new sections on my inner rocker to replace portions that were rotted.  I just used 16ga steel and copied the original pieces as best I could. 

Before welding on the outer rockers I also took a 4" x 60"(don't remember the length exactly) piece of 16 ga and welded it to the inner rocker, between it and the outer rocker at an angle that created 2 'chambers' in the rocker.  I read somewhere on here about doing this to add stiffness and thought it was a good idea that would add little weight, cost and time.  I ran the piece from right behind the a-pillar cover all the way to the back of the rocker.

Edited by HobieDog
  • Like 1

Hi, 

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Im new to the forums. 

Wanted to give it a go on a roundie 02 I got for a steal.

Question: Is there a substitute for the inner rocker? I seen one guy weld up a square tubing but trying to hear some cheap but good ideas. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Hey Jon, do you already know about the reproduction panels that are out there? That would give you the best results with the least headache. They may not meet your definition of cheap, but I don't know what cheap means to you. 

Inners

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/inner-sill-left-fits-for-all-models-and-years-of-manufacturing-you-need-1-for-1-car-41-03-01.html

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/inner-sill-right-fits-for-all-models-and-years-of-manufacturing-you-need-1-for-1-car-41-03-01.html

Outers

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/outer-sill-rocker-panel-left-fits-for-all-models-and-years-of-manufacturing-you-need-1-for-1-car-41-03-03.html

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/outer-sill-rocker-panel-right-fits-for-all-models-and-years-of-manufacturing-you-need-1-for-1-car-41-03-03.html

4 minutes ago, HobieDog said:

Agree with @tzei, some pics would help.  Concerned that you say you cut out both your inner and outer rockers, as the inner rockers (also referred to as sills) are structural.  

I welded in new sections on my inner rocker to replace portions that were rotted.  I just used 16ga steel and copied the original pieces as best I could. 

Before welding on the outer rockers I also took a 4" x 60"(don't remember the length exactly) piece of 16 ga and welded it to the inner rocker, between it and the outer rocker at an angle that created 2 'chambers' in the rocker.  I read somewhere on here about doing this to add stiffness and thought it was a good idea that would add little weight, cost and time.  I ran the piece from right behind the a-pillar cover all the way to the back of the rocker.

This is cheaper than my suggestion and could make for a great result depending on how much time you put into it. If OP ever wants to sell it then a car with sills repaired with sheet steel would probably sell easier than something with square tube. 

Has anyone ever took preventative measures from this rust situation happening again? Filling up with expansion foam or is that ghetto?

I think my brain wasn't comprehending what I was looking down there..You guys helped out big time.

Also thanks for the advice regarding the reinforcement, this weekend should be fun :))

Thanks to all 

Edited by Jon Popaj

Oh i have seen that construction expansion foam been used in this very space. I can confirm that when this ”repair” made itself known all was lost - big time. Amount of moisture it pulls is paffling and it will never give it away. 

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Has anyone ever took preventative measures from this rust situation happening again? Filling up with expansion foam or is that ghetto?

I think my brain wasn't comprehending what I was looking down there..You guys helped out big time.

Also thanks for the advice regarding the reinforcement, this weekend should be fun :))

Thanks to all 

Couple options. If you have it all cut apart, you can paint over the insides with POR15 or one of its competitors. Avoid the surfaces you need to weld since that stuff is hard to remove. You can supposedly use weld through primer in those spots you need to weld together which is what I am going to try where I am copying the factory spot welds on my floorpans. I’ve also seen folks say it affects the weld but we’ll see.

If you aren’t opening up the whole length of the rockers/sills, there are frame rust preventatives you can buy that come with a long spray nozzle. Eastwood makes one. I am planning on picking up a couple cans here shortly for my rockers. I just have a couple holes and will be protecting the rest with this stuff. 

p12515Z-Internal-Frame-Coat.jpg
WWW.EASTWOOD.COM

Destroys rust hiding inside the chassis, rocker panels and pillars so it won't rust through

• Like 2

Has anyone ever took preventative measures from this rust situation happening again?

A big leak point is the bottom corners of the windshield. Absolutely make sure you use mastic between the gasket and windshield and the gasket and pinch weld. 

That one leak ping probably results in the rusted floors, water getting into the A pillars, and water working itself into the rockers. 

No water means no rust. 

IMG_2630.jpeg

2 minutes ago, slowbert said:

A big leak point is the bottom corners of the windshield. Absolutely make sure you use mastic between the gasket and windshield and the gasket and pinch weld. 

That one leak ping probably results in the rusted floors, water getting into the A pillars, and water working itself into the rockers. 

No water means no rust. 

Mastic? Have a product name or link? I assume you don’t mean this stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-314-Ready-Set-Gallon-Premixed-Mastic-Adhesive-12256/305266484?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D23F-023_014_FLOOR_TOOLS-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-2996251-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FLR_TOOLS_PMax_G&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D23F-023_014_FLOOR_TOOLS-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-2996251-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FLR_TOOLS_PMax_G-71700000102945947--&gbraid=0AAAAADq61UdRY2J0InoJ9E48o-TZjZ0lw&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9MCnBhCYARIsAB1WQVWnKaxSz5oU2gXBA-ysuXBoJuNcoLFXKNKQkxBzIG8uGvVKzmEI59gaAqGZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

15 hours ago, Jon Popaj said:

Many years ago (1983, I think, when 02 rust was young) I did an article in the BMWCCA Roundel about rust prevention and covered what I did after replacing the outer rockers on my rusted'69.  No more rust since then even after driving it another 15 years in Ohio road salt.  PM me and I'll send you the rocker panel section of the article.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 hours ago, popovm said:

This stuff.  My auto glass guys used it.

I had a problem that perplexed me for years.  If my 1990 911 sat outside in the rain, the car alarm would go off and could only be silenced by disconnecting the battery.  It wasn't until I talked to a friend who specializes in Porsches.  He immediately pointed to the lower corner of the windshield and said it was leaking there.  I could never figure out why the floor was wet on the passenger's side (which happens to be where the car alarm is located).  Now it makes sense.

IMG_4172.jpg

Edited by slowbert
  • Thanks 1