• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting little trivia tidbit...

Mike Self

Did anyone know that Dustin Hoffman's uncle was none other than our favorite Hoffman, Max?  And that's why Dustin drove an Alfa Duetto in The Graduate.  His uncle loaned him the car.  I never associated the two names as "Hoffman" is a pretty common name.  

mike

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I just found this ...... see Item 4:

1_Graduate.jpg
AUTOMEDIA.REVSINSTITUTE.ORG

The Alfa Romeo Duetto that Dustin Hoffman drove in the movie “The Graduate” is one of the most famous Alfa models ever made.

Immediately below Item 4 is a short video of the Alfa heading to and through the Gaviota Tunnel on Hwy 101.

How many of us 2002 drivers have driven through that tunnel ??

Cheers,

Carl

Yes  I first heard this from a Alfa Club member at the national convention in San Diego I thought it was urban legend but no its true

In fact Max loaned two Duetos to the movie production company.  If you look closely at the movie you can catch the two different cars.  In the Alfa Community it's considered perfect product placement. 

Having restored two 70's Alfa Romeo Spiders has given insight into these cars.  I hate to say it but they are a totally underappreciated car.  All aluminium 2 ltr double overhead camshaft , Mechanical Fuel injection, 5 speed overdrive transmission and positraction rear end  What's not to like ? The Dueto in the movie was a 1750 cc motor but no slouch They rev really well

I lost my ass on a completely restored 74 Spider that is considered the pinnacle of Alfa Spider performance.

95% of the people think its a Fiat and it needs constant attention.   5% are Alfa people and they know and appreciate evry detail

Be careful if you venture into these cars 

Yes  I first heard this from a Alfa Club member at the national convention in San Diego I thought it was urban legend but no its true

In fact Max loaned two Duetos to the movie production company.  If you look closely at the movie you can catch the two different cars.  In the Alfa Community it's considered perfect product placement. 

Having restored two 70's Alfa Romeo Spiders has given insight into these cars.  I hate to say it but they are a totally underappreciated car.  All aluminium 2 ltr double overhead camshaft , Mechanical Fuel injection, 5 speed overdrive transmission and positraction rear end  What's not to like ? The Dueto in the movie was a 1750 cc motor but no slouch They rev really well

I lost my ass on a completely restored 74 Spider that is considered the pinnacle of Alfa Spider performance.

95% of the people think its a Fiat and it needs constant attention.   5% are Alfa people and they know and appreciate evry detail

Be careful if you venture into these cars 

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2081 (3).jpg

• Like 4

Just a little edit to above, since I used to own one, The car/s in the movie was a '66/7 Duetto, 1600cc, dual DCOEs. No '68s imported, the last year of this body style was '69 which got the 1750cc and injection, and Duetto name changed to 1750 Spider. My '67 rusted to the ground, and at 19, didn't have the resources to try to save it. For me, after all the cars I've had over the years, that car was the one I miss the most.