• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to install the motor: from the top or bottom?

slowbert

Having done the motor from the bottom and the top, I will always do it this way.  Far better than wrestling it in from the top.

As suggested, I used the engine hoist to get the car way up in the air and sitting on jack stands.  Rolled the engine/transmission underneath.

IMG_4230.thumb.jpg.9317d57f8867ff1a2aec3c3e2b4e63e5.jpg

I used the engine hoist to bring the car back to 'level' on the jack stands.  Then gently and slowly raised the engine/subframe, watching the suspension and keeping everything aligned.

I had to run the engine hoist in from the side, letting the legs of the hoist slide underneath the transmission to lower the car, then start lifting the engine.

IMG_4232.thumb.jpg.618544554e78ae5c4458df819200d859.jpg

The whole process is very controlled and gentle, far better than having all that weight swinging precariously when doing it from the top.

IMG_4234.thumb.jpg.053362a5f22f1aab9501dca6478110e0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I wish I would have seen this earlier! I took all of last week off and could have helped. I have an ATV jack that I usually put the engine on to help lift/lower it... Regardless, woohoo!

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 hour ago, irdave said:

I wish I would have seen this earlier! I took all of last week off and could have helped. I have an ATV jack that I usually put the engine on to help lift/lower it... Regardless, woohoo!

Thanks for the offer!  I did it solo and it was far easier than I thought it would be.

Next on the plate is to do the transmission mount so that the new Getrag 245 is properly aligned with @jimk's driveshaft.  Now that the motor is in place, I have a flurry of little projects that need doing - and maybe soon I can hear what it sounds like again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slowbert said:

Thanks for the offer!  I did it solo and it was far easier than I thought it would be.

Next on the plate is to do the transmission mount so that the new Getrag 245 is properly aligned with @jimk's driveshaft.  Now that the motor is in place, I have a flurry of little projects that need doing - and maybe soon I can hear what it sounds like again.

I've got a rather comprehensive collection of tools as well if you find yourself needing something that isn't readily available.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I took mine out from the top but probably will go back in from the bottom thanks to this post. 

Some day!

Jason

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

• 5 months later...

@slowbert

I'm getting close-ish to reinstalling the motor - can you elaborate on how you lifted the front of the car with the hoist? Specifically how attach the hoist to the car. It was mentioned to attach via the strut holes but I'm unsure how is best. Just looking for options.

Thanks!

Jason

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I lift using a chain across the strut mounts with a large fender washer and a bolt and nut through any of the 3 holes with out problems, come in with the lift at a angle from the door area.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

9 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I lift using a chain across the strut mounts with a large fender washer and a bolt and nut through any of the 3 holes with out problems, come in with the lift at a angle from the door area.

Thank you sir. Rear wheels on the ground or lifted in some way? 

From what I understand from this thread, going from bottom:

1. Chock rear wheels

2. Lift nose (hoist on the side, use strut bolt holes w fender washers/eyehooks)

3. Slide parts under (furniture dolly)

4. Lower nose back on jacks

5. Use hoist to lift motor up using engine lift points

6. Install front suspension (lift with jack)

Possibly I will install on suspension first. Transmission will make it hang back a fair bit so I'm sure a jack back there too will help.

Edited by JsnPpp

Yeah, rear wheels on the ground and defiantly chocked is by far the most stable. IMO it's easier to install the engine and cross member and trans as a unit it's easy to lift the tailshaft by hand or with a jack after the cross member is in.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah, rear wheels on the ground and defiantly chocked is by far the most stable. IMO it's easier to install the engine and cross member and trans as a unit it's easy to lift the tailshaft by hand or with a jack after the cross member is in.

Perfect, this is what I will (try) to do. Thank you, will report back when done.

Following those 1-6 steps above and curious if anyone has lifted the nose of the car with a chain fall? I have a conveniently placed I-beam trolley and chain fall directly above my car. I used it to pull the block up and out. 

Wondering if there is a safe way to use the strut bolt holes and chain fall to:

raise the front end / rest the car on jacks / slide motor in / use chain fall to lift motor onto mounts

IMG_2630.jpeg

Edited by Joesprocket
  • Like 1

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

I'm an out the bottom kinda guy as well. Lifted off the diving boards on mine. They may be ugly, but they're useful!

6 minutes ago, Joesprocket said:

Following those 1-6 steps above and curious if anyone has lifted the nose of the car with a chain fall? I have a conveniently placed I-beam trolley and chain fall directly above my car. I used it to pull the block up and out. 

Wondering if there is a safe way to use the strut bolt holes and chain fall to:

raise the front end / rest the car on jacks / slide motor in / use chain fall to lift motor onto mounts

I dont see why not. It supports the whole weight of the car all the time. Picking it up is no different. Get enough room in there that you can get a 2x6 or something with an eyebolt in it bolted in place of the strut bearing on each side, get a strap between them then up to the chainfall and off you go!

ABLVV85X3DcJ6yUdbzsJb4xEjpQmBXnLQChJ40ClqtZ3fiBDUJqdLbPhq13IqqSanUtjXPlEHG8ysfWmdxxM-aLQx_mknbVa_14DyaHFIfJ5kh6HQ3xXQ9iJXqw_JG4jPwfmfi3TnlPKzJ3TZb7dX53R5fHOgQ1FMI0qPafBIc736yxje1vZUR1MBT8GQ_jnlj_6ENzmAxwCP0BOBBTmmQp4DSf_T_so1JrVqIXpyKouzCiAjCJ1w0dTgyZ_yNQfJNjuQb5u9ElLrP7z8qsWeLa0sOdrd4i8_5JVxGmh-yZQDp0hTws4sIqkYDyeC2PwB09gB09BAec2skQ8NyTY9VmsoPX2jUqbMfKowjBIOdxDi0MuWDpbFO1uj4UWEnYDOru6siuEOys5KDyYj_vy7dYthWvrO2EPDYEtZmMpBzLYR7TKnUFwvXrKhI8wwpycBITUvM71af2Md44tSWVNVh49lLdOo2gYcuC4GDUoWxYujPwSB8EiBbWYbG6Gg3ht7qdgZNgOxB9qBN7RH_-749ck_o4nASq_Hq7vz1h_qGRLjGdciDVqxL4VgA39bzLdkfTuNKmweGa_AhGjqppRF2D5VNFUXECRsnLvX4JlFoKQLGtsj5VOWTHFZKQ-1I8K0UNGMNAMV0ISmeG-GsmMe7J3oJ7_XhcxOOTdEfATo-d3kIEUVVVgsi4qceMp_oquKo7vLtXltrtbsPulslJqY43lefCdENkM8bCupv69BhB5jcnn5qM5hHAf3asiYZNbZm_Y_Mps6qKHcBtAQpCOgRRCR8aKMDn-0PPmPGZoFWFrmC9mhYwr8t5xmvFrFqLxwRt2s45gAsxttuMhD8aNDLequ-bRUpBSyvNdFpcXwy4gKUKeQWRjcnhkx1vtp_u_6YQt2RjtmN4fwyuQ1yQMfhEGi7he=w1705-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

41 minutes ago, Joesprocket said:

I have a conveniently placed I-beam trolley and chain fall directly above my car.

Nice! We should all be so lucky! That will make it easy.😎 

One caveat...you may find, pulling the subframe/engine up to the frame, that the 6 holes have mysteriously 

moved from their expected positions. Not to worry, things expand and contract when no longer associated with their mates. Use a long punch or lady's foot once you get a bolt or two started. move the subframe around with the punch, a helper never hurts (they can hold your beer). Start all six, then torque as you please.

Feel good you have her home and have another beer!

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

During install, I used a strap to the chassis and the engine hoist to put the car as high as I could, then put jack stands under it. 

Without suspension, it is hard to get a jacking point. 

Then I used the engine hoist from the side to lift the engine and suspension into place. 

On 2/10/2024 at 8:58 PM, JsnPpp said:

Specifically how attach the hoist to the car. It was mentioned to attach via the strut holes but I'm unsure how is best. Just looking for options.

I don’t recall exactly where I attached the strap. Could have been through the shock tower mounts. 

• Like 1