• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Pointers on Potential Purchase

mmaaaaaxx

You are in LA. That is the land of relatively low rust cars (except for internal rust). Take your time and enjoy the search! 

That thing is race car material only. Gut it, blast it, cage it, and go from there. No more than $800 even for that.

Regards

Dono

• Like 1

I'm very curious as to what their asking price was...But as other's have said, you made the right call by turning and running.

Don't forget to to peruse the For Sale section on the FAQ.  Enthusiast owned/modified/cared for can (usually) make for a better purchase.  I was fortunate enough to buy my 02 from someone on the FAQ, and I still keep in touch (whether he likes it or not) 

Enjoy the search!

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

if you give us your budget we can help you better.

the experience of owning a old car is far better if you spend more and have a garage + tools to store and take care of it.......

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

6 hours ago, Leucadian said:

I'm very curious as to what their asking price was...But as other's have said, you made the right call by turning and running.

Don't forget to to peruse the For Sale section on the FAQ.  Enthusiast owned/modified/cared for can (usually) make for a better purchase.  I was fortunate enough to buy my 02 from someone on the FAQ, and I still keep in touch (whether he likes it or not) 

Enjoy the search!

Actually I originally found that car on the FAQ, but also cross posted on FB Marketplace and Craigslist. That being said, I think I've posted more via this thread than the seller ever has across the FAQ. I think he's had it listed for ~3 months now, originally at $12.8K 🤯, but had mentioned to me that he'd go down to $8K. The hour I spent phsyically poking and prodding the car (versus just reading what to look out for) was well worth it in terms of experience and getting to engage with you all. Thanks again for all the tips and support.

• Sad 1

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

5 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

if you give us your budget we can help you better.

the experience of owning a old car is far better if you spend more and have a garage + tools to store and take care of it.......

I currently have $10K to $15K earmarked in my head. I'm expecting faaaaar from perfect for that price. Pberen's recent post on current valuations has been extremely helpful as a guidepost. The pandemic, stimulus checks, and ~0% interest rates did funny things to just about everything, so I'm more than happy to see if average values come down closer to pre-2019 levels. I have access to a life and space available to park it / pull it apart while I learn the ins and outs and make it fit my style. 

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

Thanks for all the help and guidance everyone! I still have tons to learn, but looking forward to the journey and will hopefully have an 02 of my own in due course. Here is a quick snap of my current car a 1984 300TD wagon with relatively low mileage at 130K.

IMG_2437.thumb.jpeg.40796f370aa036364e6d5db79f0af564.jpeg

• Like 2

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

Great outlook Max, take your time and you will know it when you find her. A lot like another entity in our lives... expensive but worth it when you find the right one.

Nice Merc! love the 300's, had two in the past (one I wish I still had). 

Keep the faith! 

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC