• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another electrified 2002 - video

Ensign

I love the commitment that these builds take, and who knows what the future brings, but I’ve driven many electric vehicles and they are just soulless, maybe an electric 02 adds the soul? but I just can’t imagine the day that I open the hood on my 02 and wish my little Kuglefischer powered gem was an electric one….. mind you there days that we don’t speak!

I don't have a problem with electric vehicles per se, nor swapping old cars into them but...

When the reporter asked "is it more fun to drive than it was as a gas car?" he had an uncomfortably long pause where I imagined him remembering a hard downshift into a turn... hammering full throttle with the carb and exhaust wailing...

He said it gives him a "sense of responsibility of driving a cleaner no emissions vehicle that I get such a thrill out of..."

To me that sounds like "no".

I don't get my thrills from feeling smug.

• Like 4

I'd be tempted to convert an 02 if it was easy as converting a VW beetle. Ideally it would be possible without permanently altering the car (e.g. drop in).

The issue for me is price...even the VW kits are 2x the price of a nice car. 

Just as it has been before, my opinion of these things is that it’s a waste of money when you consider the usability of the thing after the conversion is done. To me It’s just a cool golf cart now. Nothing more. 
If I can’t get in it and drive all damn day, participate in multi day rallies, or drive to an event hundreds of miles away without worrying about where/how to find a way to power it up then it’s utility goes way way down for me. 

All that said, if gas became illegal tomorrow, I’d immediately start in on converting my cars to electric. I’m also taking the political and social responsibility elements out of the equation here. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1