• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash heater control bezel plate removal on early (69) 2002

@John_in_VA  Youza.  Score.   I was not aware of them, but they have it all.  Looks like they are currently out of stock on the blower motor though.    They do have a fan blade retrofit adaptor though.  I can pull the fan off the dead motor, clean it up and use this adaptor.   Next question, how to remove the old fan?   

Edited by James Laray

17 hours ago, James Laray said:

Next question, how to remove the old fan?

Mine was pressed on.  The pricing on the Bosch fan motor has skyrocketed since I bought mine.  Maybe not as viable a solution at that price.  There must be companies that rebuild fan motors?

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

update (as I continue to trudge this road)  - this very long road.    The two old fan motor assemblies I have are dead.   

I ordered a Porsche Fan, Bosch, part # 0 130 007 002 and a Granger plastic computer fan, part # 5JLL6.    Price $200 for the motor.  It fits, and I bench tested and it spins like a charm. 

I imagine it would be daunting for a shop to break one of these apart and rebuild it (if you can find a shop willing to do so), but I imagine they would charge equal the priced I sourced new.   

510Motorsport has them in stock and was the only option I could find.   

As  @Mark92131 noted (special thanks for your guidance), prices have gone up just in the past few years, and although there are probably a half dozen places that list the motor, nearly all of them also note "out of stock" or NLA.  

• Pelican Auto Parts $80 (out of stock) 
  • Euro Parts Plus (NLA)
  • Parts Geek (NLA) 
  • All Euro (NLA) 
  • ECS Tuning $105 (out of stock, part number 0 130 007 081) -  didn't ECS buy up Bav Auto? I liked Bav Auto, but haven't heard too many good things about ECS.   When I was on Facebook I remember a group of BMW enthusiasts dedicated to trashing ECS
  • PreDesignSF  $225  - (currently out of stock) - with this message (NOTE: Stock for 0 130 007 002 has been difficult for us to source. We have been able to source 0 130 007 081 as an alternative, though that is difficult to find as well.) 

PreDesignSF also sell rebuilt heater boxes (core required) for $1,150.00.   This answered a question I was mulling over... "how much would a shop charge to do this work?" 

It was 510Motorsport or nothing.   Actually I feel fortunate to find the one I did.  I've got to get this thing put back together.   Was really hoping for that $65 price.  This is a Bosch motor and I assume it is made in Germany.   

This could be telling about sourcing parts from Germany in general.   Classic supply and demand issue.   Post pestilence, inflation and trying global economic times.  

I have noted that German industry is really having a hard time right now due to diminished energy options (see Reuters).    A lot of German companies production has dropped off, and/or they are "off shoring" to Asia or simply going out of business.  

I also ordered the "metal fan blade retrofit adapter" from PreDesign ($17).   Just in case I don't get a tight fit with the 15/64 inch drill bit and the plastic fan blade fit.   @John_in_VA thanks for this reference. 

image.png.37ffdf040d61d156b9a82d67626427c6.png

IMG_1401.jpg

Edited by James Laray

@jgerock @Mike Self and @Mark92131 problem solved.  Thanks Jim for confirmation.  What I thought was a steel band was actually an incredibly calcified rubber gasket.  I had to really dig at it with an exacto knife to figure that out.  It was pretty obvious it should be a gasket but my mind had somehow convinced me other wise.  On to the hardware store.

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Edited by James Laray