• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild complete - Two leaks - opinion

I have just completed a two year restomod to my 73 2002.  Funny…I bought it as a pandemic project to keep me busy with the intent to sell it and get another project at the end of it but man oh man, I have become quite attached to it.  

Anyway - too much work done to list but the problem is two nagging leaks that are eluding me - so speaking opinions for to hunt down.   New 1.8 litre block - hardened crank - 292 cam - light weight flywheel - pulley, 123 ignition- heavy duty springs…well you get the idea.  Car is a delight to drive but there is a tiny leak that drops on my garage floor.  When inspecting the car, I see oil accumulates on the steering linkage and where the transmission is bolted on the block , as well as a reveal at the base of the dip stick.  My engine builder is maddened by this as he is extremely capable and experienced yet never seen it before.  My colleague at work suggested the pressure was too high in the block and it may be coming out the rear seal and the base of the dipstick so yesterday I pulled the dipstick up to allow pressure to release at that point and I have the same issue.  Do I have to try a more permanent pressure relief system or are there other ideas I could try?  

IMG_5092.jpeg

Edited by Overdraft
Spelling

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

There shouldn't be any pressure in the crankcase of an M10- the vent on the valve cover should be attached

to the carb inlet, adding, if anything, a slight vacuum.

If that's really oil- and I, too, see green coolant in that picture-

then you have to follow the trail back up.  Everything from the back of the valve cover

(unlikely) down the distributor housing (likely, especially if the pressurized bolt doesn't have it's special seal)

to the head gasket (unlikely)  to the studs for the exhaust manifold (common)

to the main galley rear plug (uncommon, but we've seen it)

to the rear main (sometimes they get messed up on assembly) to the rear main housing

(not all that uncommon) to the oil pan.  And a few other things I've forgotten.

If it's coolant, then the rear head nipple and associated plumbing...

Above the dipstick?  Fuel pump, valve cover...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Sorry all….I should have made clear that it is definitely oil and not coolant.  My engine builder added dye to try and determine where it was leaking and the picture I uploaded is influenced by the flash from my I Phone (green color).  I did not specify any features on my 123 ignition when I bought it.

Make sure that you have the sealing washer on the rear distributor cove next to the oil pressure sender, for the front I would check the joint between the 2 timing covers for the leak. Remember oil leaks travel down and back from the source. Special washer just to the left and down from the theaded oil pressure nipple. Check the distributor to make sure the o ring is on the shaft.

IMG_0196.jpg

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Pressure wash the engine bay let it dry and dust the areas generously with french chalk or Baby powder or similar.
Go for a short drive (max. 2 km).
You'll see where the origin of the leak is - promised.
IMG_5163_k.thumb.JPG.4d3c5a215dbaebd4656

dont drive too much otherwise you won't see exactly where it leaks
IMG_5171_k.thumb.JPG.53d9d5b8c0a3232455b

Edited by uai
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Update…a hairline crack - smallest of small - on the fuel pump has been fixed solving the leak/ moisture resting adjacent to the base of the dipstick.  The other remains….and despite all my investigation with dye and powder I have to think it’s the rear seal BUT it’s so small, I don’t want to take the thing apart…😕

My experience with rear mail seal leaks has been they make a mess of your flywheel and bell housing and drip from the bottom of the bell housing but it doesn't creep forward onto the block.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Marty…the leak remaining is precisely as you described.  Note from the photo the drip at the bell housing and evidence across the steering link.  We removed the pan, reseated and reinstalled and the block is leak free…so that one seems solved..so - it would appear - the rear seal is the culprit.  We did have opportunity to relocate the vent for the fuel tank (eliminate that one going through the firewall) so NO fuel smell in the interior now.  With the interior, stereo all sorted, it’s a real treat to drive.  I am about to swap out my multi switch for indicators/ wipers and then everything (I think) is sorted…for  now..🤞😳IMG_5294.thumb.jpeg.89121dc2690dc97f8297064817f3ffee.jpeg