• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle tan color match question

fsf517

53 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I have the GTS Classics Sports Seats S “comfort” front units in my 69, plus their matching rear seat covers. Esty carpet set and Coco mats. 

20161210_163021_Original.jpeg

20180525_155255_Original.jpeg

20170917_121144_Original.jpeg

very nice. I see how the panels being a bit off is not such a big deal, dont even notice. how did you get the rear seat done? 

10 hours ago, fsf517 said:

very nice. I see how the panels being a bit off is not such a big deal, dont even notice. how did you get the rear seat done? 

I removed my original back seat covers and sent them to Stefan at GTS as patterns so he could make new covers to match the front seats.  I also shipped him my original headrests.

Regarding the brown materials, Stefan located some roll stock in CA and had some perforated. I selected a slightly darker brown for the piping.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Try the three-tone look. If, as esty says, it’s not particularly noticeable — I agree that, in person, as opposed to with the automatic color correction that smart phones introduce, often emphasizing differences among colors, variations are not always obvious — then you’re good to go.

And if it either is too prominent or even if no one else notices, but you’re bugged by the conceptual differences, do what good upholsterers do: dye everything to match. And you’re good to go.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...

I am exploring vinyl now.  I was never set on leather, just trying to get a close color match.  As far as the dye goes, I am familiar, it just seems like a blunder to dye something brand new rather than worn out.. I once used it on a Saab with worn burgundy seats and is sort of rubbed onto my clothes.   To be continued.  

Nauga-Soft-Vinyl-Saddle-54_1.jpg?resizei
WWW.SAILRITE.COM

Nauga Soft Vinyl Fabric is a supple vinyl upholstery fabric that offers great durability with the look and feel of fine leather. It is an expanded vinyl that is backed with a napped jersey knit for added durability.
WWW.KOVIFABRICS.COM

K8060 SADDLE upholstery fabric. Free Shipping on all orders over 5 yards. 24/7 Expert Customer Service. Click now to buy.
WWW.KOVIFABRICS.COM

K8060 SADDLE upholstery fabric. Free Shipping on all orders over 5 yards. 24/7 Expert Customer Service. Click now to buy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

I went zimt nappa leather.... But look for either a cinnamon or bronze colors if dying.. I went for cinnamon Zimt in German.

I empathize with those that went through what I had to. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ffaaaff7e6212b11d08c70ce824c76ae.jpeg

looks great. thanks for sharing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, esty said:
Nauga-Soft-Vinyl-Saddle-54_1.jpg?resizei
WWW.SAILRITE.COM

Nauga Soft Vinyl Fabric is a supple vinyl upholstery fabric that offers great durability with the look and feel of fine leather. It is an expanded vinyl that is backed with a napped jersey knit for added durability.
WWW.KOVIFABRICS.COM

WWW.KOVIFABRICS.COM

Esty , thank you. Those are very good options.  I have committed to GTS for my front seats and zoomzoom for the rear, trying to get them both to use the same fabric. waiting on more samples.  These are definitely close match to our cars.  If I am not presented with a similar saddle tone, I will suggest one of these.  I saw you recently sold a set of front seats that looked sweet.  Fred 

google "dark saddle upholstery vinyl"....there are a lot, i just grabbed a couple of the 1st...after you make the search click images at the top of google to se pictures

i'm finishing two more sets now; a set of saddle finished in new vinyl and new basket weave centers and a set of black leather both should be ready to go next week

the strip is from an original saddle seat that was hidden on the back by the seat pocket...i think my seats are a great match to the original

2.thumb.jpg.985a6da03176931b8816bba4f46dd04a.jpg

• Like 4