• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nardi Hub Adapter - tight fit?

Dugan27

Hey Gang, 

How much persuasion is this Nardi Adapter hub supposed to need to get onto the steering post here? The hub I pulled off was pretty trashed so it slipped off but it seems to measure roughly the same as the new hub. However when I try to put the new hub on no alignment seems to make it slip on. Do I need a mallet as part of this operation?

Happy Friday!

image.thumb.png.810992ae9b2729c7c4c3f1ab0c82d5a7.png

Edited by Dugan27

That's pretty beat up, but tiny abrasive things (files, a dremel or other rotary tool, pointy scraper things), a magnifying glass, and lots of patient time will probably make it usable.  but be very careful to not ruin the hub with repeated test fits. 

IMO there's lots of contact area in the design, so if you end up with some of it missing on the shaft in some of the grooves, as long as the hub will fully seat it'll work out.  If the hub fully seats but will rock back and forth, I retract the previous sentence. 

'Course working on the end of the steering shaft in-situ will not be the most pleasant job.  If your interior's pristine, a drop cloth to catch the swarf is in order.

I'd get a set of rifle files at amazon  under 20 bucks. Great for small jobs.

71hWYW0AbLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I'd get a set of rifle files at amazon  under 20 bucks. Great for small jobs.

They're called "needle files" and are great for getting in tiny spots.  I have a rattail (round) file whose small end is only 2mm in diameter.

Harbor freight has a set of those little files for about 5 bucks...probably not the best quality but a tiny triangular file should smooth out those boogerd up splines in short order.  Or use a Dremel grinder very carefully with the thinnest emery cutting wheel they have.  A variable speed die grinder works best in this situation as it's more controlable at lower speeds.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

58 minutes ago, Dugan27 said:

Now I need to find a horn button

Should be able to find on on e-bay...they're similar if not identical to the Lucas horn button used on many different British cars in the late 50s-60s...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Should be able to find on on e-bay...they're similar if not identical to the Lucas horn button used on many different British cars in the late 50s-60s...

mike

Correction: I have the button, I meant button adapter ring I think, honestly I'm not sure what the name of it is which might be why I'm having trouble finding it. I think it looks something like this, but in chromeimage.png.fb6e8a7b78d471965039faa2477d857d.png