• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Took 2 hours to remove the plugs!

I'd get this fuse assortment they have a copper fillament and with the copper "legs" in the fuse box they won't get corrodsion due to dissimular metals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374440197003?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A10qaVTr7aQPS1hAEP1UG2uQ61&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Ty,  you hopefully won’t need to dig into it this far, but I just thought to add these easy-to/follow electrical diagrams from our resident 2002 Electrics ‘artiste’ @John76 for reference. They should be helpful doing those start-up Electrical checks that I mentioned earlier. They’re WAY better than the official diagrams in the service manual IMO…

Note: You may not have a Speed Relay, not all models do.  And since you have a PerTronix, the dizzy coil wiring will be slightly different, being per Figure “B” in the last pic, if you have an OE coil.

After you’ve checked through everything, if it doesn’t crank or start, report back.  I suspect it will though, given it’s an original owner car that was parked ~7 years ago. Good luck!

Tom

IMG_8985.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8369.jpeg

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I'd get this fuse assortment they have a copper fillament and with the copper "legs" in the fuse box they won't get corrodsion due to dissimular metals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374440197003?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A10qaVTr7aQPS1hAEP1UG2uQ61&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&

Do you feel the quality of these fuses is decent?  Not too much Chinesium?  Price is right compared to:

https://www.max2002store.com/product-page/fuse-assortment

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

A few years ago, I purchased some unbranded fuses on eBay that were described as "ceramic".  When I got them, I was suspicious that they were actually plastic.  Easy to check - just touch them with the tip of a soldering iron.  The "ceramic" fuses I received melted so obviously they were not actually ceramic.   I subsequently ordered some other fuses that were a German brand and they did not melt.  Plastic would probably work just fine and never cause a problem.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 11:23 AM, NonStopTy said:

Appreciate it!! That is very elaborate…

I got a new battery just want to get her cleaned up before I run this test.

Hoping it still works fine! My next question is the carburetor. Is there an article how to take it apart and clean it? Last time I took one apart was on a motorcycle and it was much smaller. 
maybe a rebuild kit I can buy? It has the Weber carb on in, what I’ve read is it’s an upgrade. 

This may not be the best advice long term, but when my father and I restored our 2002 (sat for 18 years or so), the best way we found to get the carburetor and engine running better was to just literally let it run. Every day we drove the car for a week it ran better than last time. Granted, ours was in much better condition than most, but if the jetting is alright this might be a decent option for the time being. I’m sure someone will disagree with me, but that’s my two cents. Good luck with the restoration though! It can be extremely frustrating at times but the satisfaction after you finish even a small job always makes it worth it.

Edited by dlefebvre02
Grammar
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 3:15 PM, visionaut said:

Ty,  you hopefully won’t need to dig into it this far, but I just thought to add these easy-to/follow electrical diagrams from our resident 2002 Electrics ‘artiste’ @John76 for reference. They should be helpful doing those start-up Electrical checks that I mentioned earlier. They’re WAY better than the official diagrams in the service manual IMO…

Note: You may not have a Speed Relay, not all models do.  And since you have a PerTronix, the dizzy coil wiring will be slightly different, being per Figure “B” in the last pic, if you have an OE coil.

After you’ve checked through everything, if it doesn’t crank or start, report back.  I suspect it will though, given it’s an original owner car that was parked ~7 years ago. Good luck!

Tom

IMG_8985.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8369.jpeg

This is amazing info will def be using it tomorrow thank you and everyone else! 

• 4 weeks later...

Have not had a free minute to get back under the hood until this week! 

We got New plugs, wires, fresh oil change and filter and new battery with all new connections….

My problem now -

I lost the dam 13mm screw for the ground wire that bolts to the engine….

Can’t believe it’s gone. 
Do I need to special order this or can I find it at hardware store? 

thanks everyone. 

Ok we got spark and she turned over real quick! Looks like a fuel problem now. 
can somebody point me in the right direction of a fuel system troubleshoot guide? Picture attached. Getting nothing going into the carb… I also sprayed some starting fluid in there, but no help… any recommendations greatly appreciated! IMG_4193.thumb.jpeg.5ae4de4b3581dd6efeea8ac4bcd5cf9a.jpegIMG_4194.thumb.jpeg.e0e41674d8e523b704d0a0c3193aa632.jpeg

When you said you used starting fluid and it didn't help, do you mean it wouldn't fire or it would just run for a few seconds? If it fired then fill the float bowl with gas through the vent and it should run long enough to prime the fuel pump.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

When you said you used starting fluid and it didn't help, do you mean it wouldn't fire or it would just run for a few seconds? If it fired then fill the float bowl with gas through the vent and it should run long enough to prime the fuel pump.

It turns over but no didn’t fire…maybe it had the slightest, tiniest ignite for a second but not really.  It did not run at all. I gave it a little gas and nothing. I’m really not experience with a carburetor. How much fluid should I be spraying?? Just wet the inside ? Form A small puddle? I don’t want to flood it.