• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70s Nurburgring carnage

Lucky 7
Go to solution Solved by JamesRamsay,

I’ve spent a lot of time watching Nurburgring crashes, but I’ve never seen a vintage compilation. Lots of 2002s both getting wrecked and sneaking past wrecks. There’s definitely an 1800 eating shit into the bushes too.😂

A few safety lessons to be learned from the 70s:

1. Skip the seatbelt, you’ll just be thrown clear of the accident and walk away unharmed

2. A convertible beetle with no roll bar is best driven at high speed and full of passengers

3. Swing axles are the future, man

• Sad 1

Hey, Babe, do you think these headaches and short term memory lapses I have are from when I rolled the VW at the ring?  And by the way, I got lost driving home from work today, but I just drove around for a while and ended up on our street.  When did we have the house painted? Was it the VW or the 02, it's a bit foggy.

No spectators were harmed during the making of this video.

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:47 PM, 2002iii said:

Apparently bell bottom pants were approved for racing, but no helmets.

And neckties 😮

The lack of safety considerations and the carnage was horrifying. 

I came across this thread while trying to decide on whether to put a rollbar in my street car. I was pleased to see how well the roofs held up on rollovers. So maybe better to take my chances than risk banging my head on a rollbar in regular street driving 🤔

• Like 2

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Posted (edited)

It's like back in the days of 70's NASCAR races. As a wee yooth sittin on the ole man's lap in his Lazy Boy, I watched just for the crashes and thought that was what the sport was about.  Good times! 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

Haha, I love this video.

I’ve been looking around and no luck, anybody know what the sporty green hatchback at 7:00 is?  The closest I can get is a Matra Bagheera, but I don’t think I’m right. 

That guy got real lucky😬

1 hour ago, JQ02 said:

I came across this thread while trying to decide on whether to put a rollbar in my street car. I was pleased to see how well the roofs held up on rollovers. 

I've been wondering the same thing about the bolt-in rollbars.  Imagine they are better than nothing and they're a bit more out of the way.

12 minutes ago, Lucky 7 said:

Haha, I love this video.

I’ve been looking around and no luck, anybody know what the sporty green hatchback at 7:00 is?  The closest I can get is a Matra Bagheera, but I don’t think I’m right. 

That guy got real lucky😬

Pretty sure that's an Alfa alfasud sprint. 

I think the luckiest was the group in the convertible beetle @ 2;26. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, HobieDog said:

Pretty sure that's an Alfa alfasud sprint. 

Yep. Alfa Sprint / Alfasud. You can see it in the grille. Took a little while to get the screengrab.

My initial thought was a Lancia Fulvia. That might be what it is, but I can't find any decent references that match up the center grille.
image.png.aeeb0f84f1a2fd873586d31f3fce728d.png

Edited by JQ02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024