• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing socket/reflector in front blinker assembly

Birdie
Go to solution Solved by 02Les,

My 1976 Front/Side Blinker assembly has a broken socket reflector (not functioning). It was fixed by PO with zip tie but not sure that is gonna be possible again. No way I am replacing the entire assembly. Is the fix this just a case of wiring a new socket (with leads) and getting clever mounting it in there? I am hoping someone recalls another post/fix with the same issue.. preferably with pictures. 

On the same topic, I am trying to remove the offending socket/reflector and having a hell of a time getting the upper contact tab out of the plastic. The attached picture shows the break in red and the stuck tab in yellow. Can someone tell me the trick to removing this? I'd like to be delicate in case my 'clever fix' requires the old reflector be in no more than 2 pieces. Thanks!

front blinker.jpg

1 hour ago, Birdie said:

No way I am replacing the entire assembly.

Why not ? Buy a used one.

That reflector looks melted, Probably from corrosion causing high resistance or wrong bulb.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

You're probably better off to buy a two terminal bulb socket at your local auto parts emporium and epoxy it to the reflector.  Put insulated terminals on the wire ends of the car's wiring harness, and on the bulb holder's pigtails and you're done with it.

Or, find someone on the FAQ with an earlier turn signal assembly that has a broken lens, corroded housing and a metal bulb holder, and swap the innards.  You can drill out the hollow rivets that secures the bulb holder to the lens/rim assembly--I did a column on how to do this; PM me if that's the way you want to proceed.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Solution

I've heard of cheap, but, that's ridiculous.

A used USA blinker (what you have) is no more than a few $$.

Place an ad in the 'Wanted" section.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Sometimes they're cheap, sometimes they're really hard to find.

It seems to be inversely proportional to how much you need one.

I like to be cheap sometimes, too, and then there's the very real satisfaction

of doing it yourself.  Even though it's silly.

I'm with Mike- the original design of the lights, frankly, sucks.  Prewar sucks, in fact.

So I'd find a new socket, remove the back housing from the lens and its frame,

and then affix a new socket with better metallurgy to the stamped steel brace.  Epoxy

or screws, depending on what you can find for a socket.  You can ditch the 'reflector'-

just paint everything metal a bright color, and it'll be good enough.  I like white, others prefer silver.

Black is right out.

t

do it yourself and smile.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks Lucky7 but per what I learned from this thread and specifically Les02, I posted in the Wanted section and voila. I have a replacement turn signal already on the way.

Btw - I just bought my 2002 last Saturday and this was only my second post. I am 2-for-2 on great advice form the folks here.  Thanks everyone!

• Like 3