• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bumper cover

Pdxguy

I have a stainless steel bumper set I believe the prior owner purchased from 02bumpers. I can only find one of the two covers and trying to figure out whether the one I have can be used on either side or is specifically for right or left. The only difference is the different width of the cut out on one end. Can anyone identify this as either right or left?

Thanks,

Dennis

bumper cover 3.jpg

bumper cover 2.jpg

bumper cover 1.jpg

They might be identical.  IIRC when we installed mine they looked identical.  I don't recall where I got mine, but it wasn't the same vendor.  Maybe check REALOEM using an early euro version to find the BMW P/N (s?) to see if there's only one part for both sides?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pdxguy said:

Early versions are identical. Later they are sided. I'm just not certain whether the one I have is based on the early or late model. 

Thanks,

Dennis

Not so. Early versions were left & right also. Actually, there were two early versions prior to the later ones.

The original BMW ones were slightly 'handed' to ensure when fitted they were parallel to each other (like the front or rear overriders).

If you fitted them on the wrong side they would be 'toed out'.

What the Chinese, Taiwan, Vietnam versions are like I do not know, although yours sorta kinda look like the later version.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

8 hours ago, 02Les said:

Not so. Early versions were left & right also. Actually, there were two early versions prior to the later ones.

8 hours ago, 02Les said:

The original BMW ones were slightly 'handed' to ensure when fitted they were parallel to each other (like the front or rear overriders).

If you fitted them on the wrong side they would be 'toed out'.

What the Chinese, Taiwan, Vietnam versions are like I do not know, although yours sorta kinda look like the later version.

Any guess whether the wider tab as seen in the first picture should sit towards the center of the car or outside? If known that would help me figure out which side I need to replace. I will try fitting it to the bumper, see if it sits perpendicular or off to one side. 

Thanks,

Dennis

13 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

Any guess whether the wider tab as seen in the first picture should sit towards the center of the car or outside? If known that would help me figure out which side I need to replace. I will try fitting it to the bumper, see if it sits perpendicular or off to one side. 

Thanks,

Dennis

Better late than never!

I tried taking a pic of the 'later" proper BMW rear cover (left) on my Touring. The cut-out is in the middle, not to one side like the Asian version. So, no help i'm afraid.

Bumper1cr.jpeg.74622b8c055e4db32ca46a11a7f0cada.jpeg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

T

On 2/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, Pdxguy said:

I have a stainless steel bumper set I believe the prior owner purchased from 02bumpers. I can only find one of the two covers and trying to figure out whether the one I have can be used on either side or is specifically for right or left. The only difference is the different width of the cut out on one end. Can anyone identify this as either right or left?

Thanks,Dennis

bumper cover 2.jpg

This pic of the seam cover doesn't look anything like the seam cover that I received from WallothNesch  The WN seam covers had no slots. 

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner