• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passenger door is 1 cm off level.

David Layton

The rear edge of the passenger door is 1cm low, while the front edge lines up with the hood etal.  Likewise, the rear upper corner of the window is riding low on the window seal. 

The blue shop manual is very matter of fact on this.

So, I need to adjust the door angle through the 6 hinge bolts.  An exercise which seems like standing on one leg while rubbing you belly and scratching your head at the same time.   Is there a trick to this?  After I remove the interior door panel, a well-padded trolley jack is needed.  Should this be a 2 or 3 person operation?

Appreciated any learned wisdom on this.

• Like 1

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

1 hour ago, Hans said:

I used jack under the rear edge, tape measure. Loosen hinges,  jack, tighten. Then sort out latch.

That's exactly what I did with a friend's replacement driver's door.  Took several tries to get the door aligned properly, and then we had to re-set the lock's catch plate, and then a little more adjustment to the glass...

And the glass will still whistle.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here are the photos for what I hope to correct this weekend.  It is simply a case of the door not being level.  I realize that once the door is level, I may have to massage the window alignment.  Drove it today, Frau Blucher is one fast old lady.  She turns 50 on the 23rd of this month.

1 cm low.jpg

front gap not aligned.jpg

Window gap.jpg

Edited by David Layton
  • Like 2

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Good advise above, door looks low in rear front alignment is hard to tell from pictures…the Crome trim at top of door/bottom of glass on front and rear windows should be a straight plane. The correct alignment of the hood is also critical to it all looking/being correct. 

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Last night, after over 15 tries, I got the door level. Used 2 well-padded floor jacks on the bottom corners.   

Do the hinge bolts need to be torqued?

Next step is to make slight adjustments the vent window/side window angles. 

Door 1.jpg

Door 2.jpg

Door 3.jpg

• Like 2

Frau Blucher - 73 tii