• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 5 Speed Transmission Gasket Replacement

bergie33

I searched and searched and found very little info on replacing the gaskets in a 245 5 speed transmission.  I haven't installed the transmission in the car yet, so now is the time to do it, if any.  The transmission was from my own e21 that I owned for about a year.  It was pretty greasy and dirty, so hard to tell if there were leaks from the engine, or somewhere on the transmission.  Now that I have cleaned it all up and have it sitting out of the car, it appears it may be leaking out of one of the housing gaskets (gaskets in between the sections of the transmission housing).  The only few threads I have seen are steering people away from fulling dismantling the transmission and leaving that to the pros.  I am just not sure if that includes taking apart the housing to get new gaskets installed or if that is a fairly DIY job.  The e21 shop manual doesn't address replacing the gaskets as a stand alone job, so I can't tell what is involved in just replacing those gaskets.  Any help is appreciated.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

If it is the gasket between front housing (bell housing) and the middle housing it is not a huge job.  If it is the one between the rear housing and the middle one you basically need to completely disassemble the transmission to get to it.  Even the front gasket can be tricky if you don't have the input shaft bearing puller.  You need to be very careful with that bearing it is virtually NLA 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

From the factory getrag 245's didn't have any gaskets between the cases, just case sealer.

Pictures would help.

Even removing the front case requires special tools, I had to make my own tools.

Having taken a few apart myself I wouldn't suggest trying it yourself.

2 hours ago, 2002iii said:

From the factory getrag 245's didn't have any gaskets between the cases, just case sealer.

Pictures would help.

Even removing the front case requires special tools, I had to make my own tools.

Having taken a few apart myself I wouldn't suggest trying it yourself.

Here are a few pictures. Not sure where the leak is yet.  You can see the board it is sitting on is damp from transmission fluid. I'm just thinking ahead. I see the is sealant in the seams and not a gasket. Is it any easier to split the case creating only a 2" gap, enough to to clean the surface really well and put a new sealant in there? 

20221011_182409.jpg

20221011_182416.jpg

20221011_182422.jpg

Edited by bergie33

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive