• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrofitting an Electronic Flasher Relay

hegedus

23 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

My OE flasher wasn't doing its job, so I took the cover off and cleaned these contacts, using the back side of some sand paper.  You can see the black crud that came off.  It appears to be working as it should again.  I feel like I got lucky. 

Great job!

interesting to see how many more years it will go

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 9 months later...

My blinkers on all 4 corners worked. My flashers worked. My dash indicator worked for the flashers, but only blinked once for the blinkers and then stopped. I was just about to do this fix until someone suggested simply reversing the wires inside the front blinkers. Took all of 5 minutes and everything works perfectly now.

It's the little things!

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

• 1 month later...

I followed the instructions and installed the Novita Heavy Duty Flasher EL13 from my local Advance Auto Parts in my 1974 BMW 2002. The intermittently functioning dash light now works 100% of the time. I wish the blinker sound was louder, but I can hear it much better than the original flasher.

• 5 weeks later...

One more thing. I had the dashboard green telltale light flashes once only condition. After going through every bulb and wire, cleaning the flasher relay, and cleaning the fuses, I put in a spare hazard switch I had on hand. That corrected the one-blink problem. All lights work like new. This might be written up elsewhere, but it's worth mentioning here.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

• 2 months later...

I was able to remove the female spade clips from the original plug and have tried to use an EL13 relay, It works all four corners but no luck on the dash. I only have one terminal on the EL-13 marked as an X, I followed the instructions here and put the correct wire on the X terminal. and took a stab and the other two. One configuration worked everything but the dash. If I switched the leads, it blinks all the time.

Any suggestions for getting the dash to work? I KNOW the bulb works or at least it did -- stay on constantly -- before I swapped the relay.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...