• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently aquired '72 tii

RoyW

1 hour ago, RoyW said:

I don't think that's a wrap on the steering wheel, just the stock leather stitched onto the metal wheel beneath? It's a great feeling and great looking wheel, I think... pretty rare too I was told by a knowledgeable source. I may be wrong, not 100% certain?

Its a fantastic steering wheel, one of the best for 2002 in my opinion! They aren't rare, but certainly getting hard to find in good condition so you should definitely hold onto it. Yours does have a non-original leather cover wrapped and sewn over the original rubber grip. If it feels good to drive with just leave it, it actually looks alright and the thicker grip is always nice. What a gem!

• Like 1

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

27 minutes ago, RoyW said:

Next I'll be bringing the car to a BMW shop for full mechanical assessment and repair of some know issues

You're actually pretty close to Sports Car Restoration in CT, I would highly recommend them for a good sorting. They specialize in these cars and have an amazing shop. Worth the long drive to get it correctly sorted. 

• Like 1

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

3 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

Its a fantastic steering wheel, one of the best for 2002 in my opinion! They aren't rare, but certainly getting hard to find in good condition so you should definitely hold onto it. Yours does have a non-original leather cover wrapped and sewn over the original rubber grip. If it feels good to drive with just leave it, it actually looks alright and the thicker grip is always nice. What a gem!

Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated :)

• 4 months later...

Since my last update in August, things slowed down on the '72 2002tii refresh due to "life in general" getting in the way :) But, I have made some progress, especially over the past couple months. In summary:

I had the car assessed at a local BMW independent shop and had numerous issues addressed while created a list of others, less critical items, to address later. Those items that were done included:

-replaced e-flasher switch

-replace turn-signal fuse

-replaced both rear brake wheel cylinders

-repaired left front brake caliper

-replaced front and rear brake pads/shoes

-replaced all brake lines with coated lines and SS kit, plus fittings

-replaced idler arm bushings

-addressed hard starting issue

-repaired chewed wiring problems (mice)

-changed all fluids, e.g., oil, coolant, brakes. Also filters

Those items that will be addressed later include mostly fresh suspension and steering components, e.g., bushings, etc. Probably springs and shocks/struts and sway bars as well.

I also got the car up on a lift to power wash the under-carriage, and then with a friend, scrapped all loose, previously applied, under-coating (from late 80's when the car was first re-painted, I'd guess?). Everything was solid, no issues what-so-ever (you can tell this car spend most of its life in the SW and SE, and not the North... very clean, except loose under-coating and minor surface rust.  However, there had been repair made to the spare tire well, which was covered in fiberglass and POR-15... we scraped that all off to reveal several holes due to rust in the spare tire well sheet metal.

We then wire brushed and wire wheeled much of the surface rust from the under-carriage components and used Eastwood's rust encapsulator and/or primer to cover bare metal, etc. New under-coating will be applied when the car goes to the paint shop next month

Last week, again with the help of a couple of friends, and in preparation for the  January trip to the body and paint shop, we removed most of the car's trim.  I have more work to do finishing up this task... need to figure out how to remove the trim pieces at the bottom of the side windows??  Also need to clean up areas that are now exposed from trim removal, i.e., dirt, surface rust, etc,

Here are a few pictures.

-RoyW

PA030152.JPG

PA030154.JPG

PA030155.JPG

PA030157.JPG

PA030158.JPG

PA030161.JPG

PB130163.JPG

PB130165.JPG

PB130169.JPG

PB130170.JPG

PB130174.JPG

PB130175.JPG

PC230179.JPG

PC230180.JPG

PC240187.JPG

PC240188.JPG

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 4

Did a little more work on the car over the last two days, including a major cleaning of the back seat area (thanks to my wife for handling that nasty work!) and inside the front of the car that was now visible with the lights, grill, etc. removed.

Next will be taking the belt trim and door guard fasteners off and saving as many as possible for re-use

-RoyW

PC310819.JPG

PC310821.JPG

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I brought the car to the body & paint shop I'll be using yesterday, all went well. Now the wait until Spring when it will be finished, i.e., April/May time-frame I'd guess?

I'll visit it every now and again and post up a few pictures. Sorry, I forgot to take some as I loaded it into the trailer for yesterday's journey to MA and dropped it off.... don't know what I was thinking, or obviously, NOT thinking! :(

-RoyW

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 3

Stopped in at the body & paint shop yesterday to drop off a needed item (window crank), and was surprised to see that they had already started with the paint stripping on the roof and had removed the right side rear window to look at the rust issue that was peeking out just below the window frame ... so I took a couple pictures. They will be removing all the glass and strip the entire car going forward and address any/all body issues, e.g., small dents & dings, rust, etc.

-RoyW

P1130827.JPG

P1130829.JPG

P1130830.JPG

P1130833.JPG

P1130834.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the paint stripping and bodywork was made on the car last week. The hood, trunk, and roof are now all stripped, with as needed bodywork, and primed. Panel and glass removal are next. :)

Here are some photos:

695679172(1).jpg

695848931(1).jpg

695848948(1).jpg

695856250.jpg

695857181.jpg

695922512.jpg

695926621.jpg

695936162.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, RoyW said:

More progress on the paint stripping and bodywork was made on the car last week. The hood, trunk, and roof are now all stripped, with as needed bodywork, and primed. Panel and glass removal are next. :)

Here are some photos:

695679172(1).jpg

695848931(1).jpg

695848948(1).jpg

695856250.jpg

695857181.jpg

695922512.jpg

695926621.jpg

695936162.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

For this beginner body guy can you tell me what grit that orbital paper you are using to strip that paint off?  looks like it works very well for stripping.....I need to get that type of orbital equipment for my air compressor and do not know exactly what to buy.  Any help its appreciated. thank you!!