• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another CSB but... A Strange Driveshaft

DrinkMan

55 minutes ago, TobyB said:

And it's meant to be set to length after it's bolted in place-

which is no consolation now, I know...

Yea, that was the point that makes it actually easier to work with. Looks that the length was made a bit too tall here because the spline was set all the way to the bottom. If it was an inch shorter it would be easy to loosen under car slide a bit in and remove. Installation same thing, automatically sets the length correct (the fine tuning).

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

15 hours ago, DrinkMan said:

So far, we have only found a few problems: some ground issue in dashboard causing fuel gauge problems (I figure that may have been caused by the 19 days crossing the ocean and it is next on our troubleshooting list after driveshaft), 4-way flasher button getting stuck intermittently,

Fixing an additional ground for both temp and fuel gauge is an easy task--should be on the FAQ archives or PM me and I'll send you a column on the fix.  Same with the emergency flasher--usually the pushbutton won't stay in the off position and suddenly activates, running your battery down if you're not there to turn it off.  I had to delve into one several years ago and figured out how to fix the pushbutton.  PM me for the column.

mike

PS--we expect to see you and your car at either Mid America or Vintage--or both--next year.  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yea, that was the point that makes it actually easier to work with. Looks that the length was made a bit too tall here because the spline was set all the way to the bottom. If it was an inch shorter it would be easy to loosen under car slide a bit in and remove. Installation same thing, automatically sets the length correct (the fine tuning).

You are so right. I wish it was a an inch shorter. Putting the driveshaft back in will not be fun. There is less than a 1/4" of play left. I hope this is the last time we have the driveshaft out but if we ever take it out again, I'll have it shortened.

Life is too short to drink bad beers or drive boring cars. Just don't do both at the same time

Nothing Boring in our garage: 1966 Lotus Elan S2 S/E, 1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye Coupe 1.3, 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280S, 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce, 1972 BMW 2000tii touring, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1973 Porsche 914, 1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6 engine, 2003 Jaguar XKR, 2005 Lotus Elise

I would have adjusted the drive shaft length to close to correct and did the final by adjusting the diff location and saved a lot of wife criticism.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Just to close out the thread. No big deal getting the driveshaft back in. Thanks for all the suggestions. Nice and straight. Took it for test drives. All good. Also fixed (grounded) temperature gauge and 4-way flasher. Fabricated an adapter for the rear license plate for USA plates to work on EU mounting. Our first 4 days with the car at home have been quite successful. Tomorrows plan is to lift it up again and inspect the newly installed CSB, check everything out. 

My wife who has been assisting with everything has declared that all seem well sorted and will probably drive it tomorrow so I expect that I won't be driving it much anymore. And because this car is well sorted, another car had to start acting up today. The Alfa's clutch started giving me problems today and looks like we need to rebuild the clutch master cylinder. It is a never ending project list around our garage. Fix a car, break a car.

• Like 3

Life is too short to drink bad beers or drive boring cars. Just don't do both at the same time

Nothing Boring in our garage: 1966 Lotus Elan S2 S/E, 1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye Coupe 1.3, 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280S, 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce, 1972 BMW 2000tii touring, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1973 Porsche 914, 1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6 engine, 2003 Jaguar XKR, 2005 Lotus Elise