• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii intermittent loss of throttle

kmoy2002

@golftii I just checked under the car and the pedal is tight to the shaft at the pedal box. I did notice the throttle return spring broken and flopping around. 

However to my understanding, the purpose of this spring is to help return the accelerator pedal and there is a redundancy in the system with the upper spring near the firewall. I will be replacing this spring however would this cause an absolute lack of throttle response? I can still actuate the throttle and all the linkages still pivot the arms up to the mechanical pump.

Any insight?

@Swiss 2002TiiI'll look into the wiring of the fuel pump. I had my mechanic do the e28 fuel pump conversion and I assumed he had kept the original wiring.

IMG_8115.jpg

Edited by kmoy2002

'73 2002tii Fjord Metallic Blue

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic

2 hours ago, kmoy2002 said:

spring however would this cause an absolute lack of throttle response? I can still actuate the throttle and all the linkages still pivot the arms up to the mechanical pump.

Could the clamp bolt on the throttle shaft below the tuna can be loose?  if that werent clamped then the thottle linkage could all move but the throttle spindle itself may not turn???

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

This happens to me sometimes because my tank is a replacement tank and I have an in-tank fuel pump. The pickup doesn't go down as deep as the original so when the fuel is less than half, it sloshes around and starves the pick up. Aggravating.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

25 minutes ago, NYNick said:

This happens to me sometimes because my tank is a replacement tank and I have an in-tank fuel pump. The pickup doesn't go down as deep as the original so when the fuel is less than half, it sloshes around and starves the pick up. Aggravating.

This reminds me of a similar tii fuel starvation situation I had...replaced fuel pump hose on a 2post lift with suspension dangling...what I didn't recognise was that the suspension touched the rubber pipe when compresseda(cornering or on bumps)....kinking the fuel pipe gave an intermittent loss of power in left hand bends and up steep hills... Took me some time to recognise my mistake.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

@dlacey just checked the clamp below the tuna can and it's tight where it should be. Lifted the car and looked over the new fuel soft lines and they're routed through the supports where they need to be. I snugged the bolts to the electrical connections a bit more. They were tight when I got there.

@SydneyTii the pump is wired via a custom harness my mechanic created and is connected, heat shrinked, and seems tidy/snugly connected.

@NYNickafter checking all the above and wire brushing a few of the ground connection points, I took it back on the road for a shake down. I've got about 7/8 of a tank full of fuel. On level road after an intersection, I again lost throttle. Same symptoms. Engine never died. I'd repeatedly actuate the throttle pedal to no response. I began changing lanes in preparations for a complete shut down but all of a sudden, after a brief hiccup, I had throttle control again. I was able to drive it back home.

This issue is driving me nuts and I can't seem to chase it down haha. Good grief! The only thing I can think about that is old that hasn't been serviced is the ignition coil. I have one on order in addition to the broken throttle return spring but I'm not entirely sure these are the root of my issue.

Any other items I should look at/into?

'73 2002tii Fjord Metallic Blue

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic