• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powderwheels Frank Franker — Proceed With Caution!

Received "a set" of wheels that I was somewhat ok with.  I paid for a set of Campagnolos but was not willing to wait any longer...they had these available so I just took them to end my misery.  Arrived and in my hands now.  Basically I overpaid for these as they are not Campy's but again, pretty sure a refund of the difference was not in the works and wasn't sure when I would ever get anything so just told them to ship em'.  Would not order anything else however.....just not worth the time and hassle. @Marsattacks those were my go-to but  I just went with something close to Campy's for this set...love the Fondmetals........they look great on anything...good pick. Glad this fiasco is over.  Thank you for the help with this - looks like all of us bitching at once put the pressure on and things start moving......

IMG_1562.JPG

• Like 1

I've purchased 2 sets of wheels from Frank.

1st set was "in stock, needed refinishing" set of BBS RS001. Paid in full (A couple thousand dollars), wire transfer as he requested. I got story after story after story for 8, maybe 12(?) months as to why they weren't shipped. The best one was, "We are waiting on new barrels from BBS"... and what arrived most decidedly was NOT new barrels. They finally arrived, after numerous threats of negative press/publicity were levered on my part time and time again. (It's been almost 1.5 years since I received the wheels) Throughout the time, he promised to ship me extra wheels to "make up for it" or other extra parts to "re-sell" as a make good. Never received anything.

Figured I'd try again... maybe the first time was just extenuating circumstances for Frank...

2nd set was staggered 15" Alpina's. Again, "Ready to ship!". Again, I transferred money as he requested. Wait upon wait upon wait.... Finally received 2 packages. I was so frustrated with the experience, I put them aside as they were, waiting to unwrap for when I needed them.  Un-wrap them, and instead of a gloss finish, they were a satin grey. Further more, it wasn't even a staggered set. Address the issue with Frank... "Ooops, I sent you wheels that were supposed to go to New Zealand!" Sends replacement wheels.  Magically, the correct wheels arrived in a weeks time.

He now asks that I ship the "incorrect wheels" to New Zealand. I quoted USPS, FedEx, UPS. USPS was the cheapest, albeit $300+ per package. Frank approved shipping, and will "Paypal" me the money... (Odd, as he won't accept Paypal for payment though???). He declines insurance cost, and asks I mark the packages as $200/ea to save on customs cost on the receivers end.

I bubble wrap each wheel, box and ship the wheels (2 wheels per box).

He sends me photos of 2 chips on the wheel lips smaller than a pencil eraser... (Yet, he declined insurance on a shipment going halfway around the globe).

This was over a year ago.

I still haven't been paid for shipping expenses.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Lesson learned.

Chris L

www.VSR1.com

• Sad 2

Christopher L.

www.VSR1.com

On 8/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, Marsattacks said:

… Haven’t unpacked and might not do so until at tire shop…

WTF!!!

How could you possibly wait another minute to open them, after what you’ve gone through? Open them, please! Just let them loose! Give us photos!

Congrats, but please don’t buy any more rims from Frank, no matter how friggin’ beautiful they are! ??

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It looks like the guys getting their wheels are ones he must have had in stock already as I have seen him post them (or similar wheels). I don't have much hope for the rest of us. The only chip I have is our conversation which I plan to publish if we don't get some traction soon.

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

1 minute ago, TripE46 said:

It looks like the guys getting their wheels are ones he must have had in stock already as I have seen him post them (or similar wheels). I don't have much hope for the rest of us. The only chip I have is our conversation which I plan to publish if we don't get some traction soon.

Keep in mind...I never got the wheels I ordered.  I just asked what was in stock and chose one....and overpaid for them at that..so I just picked my poison and moved on from this fiasco......never to return.  There are others that do the same thing as Frank Franker and do it better.

• Like 2

Yeah I get that you had to "just pick something" part of me has wanted to go that route too. Really I wish I could forget that I ever did this. The wheels that are on my car are pretty sweet anyway MINILITES

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

I'd unpack them now. I got wheels from him a few years back. Didn't unpack them until at the tire shop and they were the wrong offset.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

All 4 wheels present and accounted for.  In the correct size.  All expertly polished.  Photos look exactly like above except there are four wheels (and the one bolt sitting proud in the above photo has been fully fastened).  Will post photos when installed.  And will post an epilogue to the story. Thanks for watching.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg