• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hella 'model 38' LED center brake GROUP BUY

MoBrighta

Price: $99

Description:

LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT - This is the 'Hella model 38' (legacy part number is 5238) HCMSL or 'Cyclops' center brake light.

There is no explanation, but this is about $20 less than I could sell it for last time they were available... blame the pandemic?

Update #1

Hella 'model 38' LED CHMSL is sold by (good guy) Daniel Stern, and I also have a connection...  I will be ordering some soon.  Lead time is 12 weeks.  I am taking names for a group buy, so think about it. 

Hella's 'legacy' part number is model 5238.  They have 12 LED elements each with it's own 'lens' - NICE AND BRIGHT.  Inside, the panel holding the LEDs is adjustable up and down so you can AIM THE BEAM (hot spot) at the idiots behind you.  Ideally it would search for their eyeballs, and aim itself accordingly, but for now, you aim it where most of the eyeballs will be, and hope for the best. 

They mount to the glass at top (best defense against trucks and SUVs) or bottom of the back window, and run off the brake light wire with NO WIRE CUTTING, no clam-shell guillotine wire-slicing taps, no damage to the conductor or insulation.  I customize the wiring to be plug and play.  I ran mine through an existing hole in the package shelf, or you can run it next to the wheelhouse alongside the wire harness.  You can have the wiring totally hidden this way. 

Upgrades to the stock tail lights will also help (hint, hint).  I have a new method of restoring the reflective properties that is TRULY like a mirror.  Be the first on your block to have this vast improvement in light output.  Mo Brighta, Mo Betta.

Update #2

Hella is also making two related models of this light -- designed for back windows at flatter and more vertical angles.  I can order either of these as well, if you want.

Here are the details:

Model 5237, 'coupe' - glass 20-36 degrees (from horizontal)

>Model 5238. 'sedan' - glass 37-56 degrees< best for the 2002 and most BMWs

Model 5239. 'wagon' - glass 57-80 degrees

All are 12V, 3W, with 2.5m (98 in.) of wire and all (I think) the same price.

LAST THING -  I am asking for a deposit, if you can, of $60 per light.

This is getting ridiculously popular - I now have 12 orders JUST IN THIS FORUM, and I have posted the offer on four other vintage BMW forums... the total will be north or two dozen if I guess right.  That's a $2,400-plus-shipping ding on my checking account... I would appreciate if you can make this deposit.

Here are the details-- Deposits can be any of three methods: PayPal, Money Order, or Check.
PayPal payments to my email, Checks and Money Orders are mailed. Send me a PM or email, I will reply with all needed info. You can find my email in my signature below. Also, please provide car info (for correct wiring) - year, model, VIN, and your shipping address.

Note - for Money Orders, US postal are the safest and most reliable. Fill out completely, and keep the 'sender copy.'  No Western Union, Money-gram, Venmo, Bitcoin, or other non-traceable payments, those are for scammers.

Thanks!
Andy

Edited by MoBrighta
2nd update info

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

Awesome! Thanks for putting something together.

Daniel was sourcing them from Australia if I remember correctly-I guess that option has dried up for him? Regardless, sign me up; it’s been on my to-do list since my car returned from paint.

Wends

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Pictures would be nice.   I believe I have that model (#38).   Although it's modern, it looks correct.  I love it!

8A578B17-3345-4C04-8E99-EA6A40C7E295.jpeg

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

On 4/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, MoBrighta said:
Price: $99
Description:

LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT - This is the 'Hella model 38' (legacy part number is 5238) HCMSL or 'Cyclops' center brake light.

There is no explanation, but this is about $20 less than I could sell it for last time they were available... blame the pandemic?

Update #1

Hella 'model 38' LED CHMSL is sold by (good guy) Daniel Stern, and I also have a connection...  I will be ordering some soon.  Lead time is 12 weeks.  I am taking names for a group buy, so think about it. 

Hella's 'legacy' part number is model 5238.  They have 12 LED elements each with it's own 'lens' - NICE AND BRIGHT.  Inside, the panel holding the LEDs is adjustable up and down so you can AIM THE BEAM (hot spot) at the idiots behind you.  Ideally it would search for their eyeballs, and aim itself accordingly, but for now, you aim it where most of the eyeballs will be, and hope for the best. 

They mount to the glass at top (best defense against trucks and SUVs) or bottom of the back window, and run off the brake light wire with NO WIRE CUTTING, no clam-shell guillotine wire-slicing taps, no damage to the conductor or insulation.  I customize the wiring to be plug and play.  I ran mine through an existing hole in the package shelf, or you can run it next to the wheelhouse alongside the wire harness.  You can have the wiring totally hidden this way. 

Upgrades to the stock tail lights will also help (hint, hint).  I have a new method of restoring the reflective properties that is TRULY like a mirror.  Be the first on your block to have this vast improvement in light output.  Mo Brighta, Mo Betta.

Update #2

Hella is also making two related models of this light -- designed for back windows at flatter and more vertical angles.  I can order either of these as well, if you want.

Here are the details:

Model 5237, 'coupe' - glass 20-36 degrees (from horizontal)

>Model 5238. 'sedan' - glass 37-56 degrees< best for the 2002 and most BMWs

Model 5239. 'wagon' - glass 57-80 degrees

All are 12V, 3W, with 2.5m (98 in.) of wire and all (I think) the same price.

Approved in Australia and New Zealand under ADR 49/00, category S3

ECE ref. 15349, 15350, or 15351

(if anybody cares)

Is this the same light as yours?

https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/hella-matrix-led-high-level-brake-lamp-sedan.html

6 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

8A578B17-3345-4C04-8E99-EA6A40C7E295.jpeg

2 hours ago, enoz05 said:

Yes to both. 

1936spyder - that looks like a screen cap from Daniel's site... you must call him for prices; and yes, he is hard to get hold of sometimes.

enoz05 - yes it is, that is an Aussy (= 'oz' = Australia) site.  They're neighbors and partner with New Zealand, where the light is available freely, but I guess they will add shipping charges, no?  I'm curious to know what their total is delivered to your door, and if they include the correct terminals for a plug-in installation in a 2002.  Any input on this?

ALL- I will make a list.  Looks like this may be a bigger buy than I expected.    Seven so far, and I haven't looked at the other forums yet!

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back

REFERENCE ONLY - I found this 5238 on flea-bay, at $120 plus $40 shipping, no custom wiring harness, but a nice small bag of the 'guillotine' or clam-shell wire-slicer taps.  Hella includes these with the light. I throw them away.  You can also see some black items - these are wire clips, you will get them.

I AM NOT SELLING THIS - OR AT THIS PRICE, I was curious to see what other sources there are.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133499227273?hash=item1f152c8c89:g:YfEAAOSw1PZfP97L

ebay item

Looking at the package- clearly VERY old stock, even the adhesive strips are the old style.  The new strips have '3M VHB.' 

Edited by MoBrighta
  • Like 1