• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Italian turn signal question

Johnny Riviera

So I just got done installing my repop Italians on my Inka 73, stepped back to bask in the clear/orange glory and saw.....that they looked mostly orange due to the orange paint in the recess showing through the clear lens. 

My question, has anybody painted the inside of that cavity a silver or grey to make them pop a bit more, or is that just how it is on an orange car?

3EF0D989-8310-4790-9A19-9E1DF7DC1FDC.jpeg

F5ED803B-BF42-4DB5-BA4E-E485BF2987FF.jpeg

Try putting a little tinfoil back behind the bulb and in the turn signal cavity to see if that brightens things up--be careful not to let the foil ground those exposed bulb terminals.  If the foil makes a noticeable difference, then paint the inside cavity white, or get some silver mylar sheet and glue/tape it in place.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Johnny, try to find amber bulbs that have a silvery coating on them (I think they were developed during the Altezza craze a few years back). I had a set on my Mini Cooper S many years back. That car had white lenses in the front bumper with amber bulbs for turn signals or parking lamps (can't recall exactly) and the 'fried egg' look irritated me until I found a pair of chrome-ish bulbs on eBay that cleaned up the look...something like this: 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bulbs-1156-Chrome-Amber-50-289601-1/184618509823?hash=item2afc1ee5ff:g:KIIAAOSw5-Bf~dUk

Not sure of the actual bulb code you'd need but this would be a place to start. 

28 minutes ago, pzaver said:

Johnny, try to find amber bulbs that have a silvery coating on them (I think they were developed during the Altezza craze a few years back).

I've successfully painted amber bulbs with a thin coat of silver spray paint to camouflage the bulb.  I believe masking or painting the recess will be your best best.  My car is Chamonix so it's not an issue.  Here's a photo before I "stealthed" the bulb.

DSC02114.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I love the Italian signals. I didn't realize you could see so much into the lens.  I have euro signals so pretty happy.

I would look at some vinyl colors to hide the orange.  Would think it could take any heat that would be generated.

They do look great though..