• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S2002 driving about

chargin

Finally out driving it at load, more than a few 9k freeway runs.

240hp even with low torque feels great, 9k rpms just sounds Crazy, but the 6 speed feel is just amazing and is more noticeable than the extra 140 hoofed beasts 

S2000 runs a 4:10 differential with 16”x55 tall wheel/tire, I’m using a 3:91 with  smaller diameter 15”x50 wheel/tire which equals 3200rpm @ 62mph (100km)

This swap is definitely not for everyone but it is effective, the actual Honda ECU/ECM hardwiring was pretty basic and now the Plug-n-Play Haltech can be safely installed 

a few progress shots: 

A7C0E233-B6CC-4390-AC0F-FE901055B1EB.jpeg

7E4902B1-737C-46D0-B93C-844808E21AB2.jpeg

EE8B98EB-7135-4337-A241-FF5DF3B230DE.jpeg

F7A4BC8C-AEFA-460C-84F0-F0957BB19714.jpeg
9F134466-2516-464B-BFA3-5D0396BCCDB9.jpeg

E7CBFB97-FAEC-4CD8-9234-B24C60AD6D51.jpeg

7C06562C-FFCD-4AC4-8F75-87B388277767.jpeg
85051118-3790-4214-A29C-8A2E18B20690.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

What do you expect to gain with Haltech over stock ecu?

Everyone “Said” it would have more control to eliminate driving bugs, that’s really the only reason, on the swap build you eliminate about 80% of the Honda wiring, for things like Power roof, ABS, Air Bags and such. Everything looks ok and drives fine but for instance it idles 800 rpms high, so I’ll see what the Haltech does, everyone who I’ve spoken to is running a aftermarket ECU/ECM 

3A1F5D02-B821-4CC8-AF8F-50FF05F2E168.jpeg

Edited by chargin

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

stop teasing us! Where’s the driving videos?

working on the GoPro/phone interface now to shoot with my Sessions on a suction cup mount 

• Like 2

Wow!!! That is one clean swap and car too, BTW. Sick man!!! Glad to see your efforts have paid off. 240hp is no joke, what's your weight?

Of topic question. Where did you get your seats from? They look very familiar to me. I sold a set of 325is fronts and 02 rears that were reupholstered to match to a FAQ member some 13 years ago.

If you plan on doing track days in CA, I hope to see you out there. I'm close to sorting mine out again.

Again, great work. Now ditch the honda logo on the valve cover for a plain blank cover. Would be perfect! 

Thumbs up and cheers.

Moe

Edited by MOESPEED2002
  • Like 1

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

1 hour ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

Wow!!! That is one clean swap and car too, BTW. Sick man!!! Glad to see your efforts have paid off. 240hp is no joke, what's your weight?

well the front end actually lifted up almost 1/2” from Tii form 

Of topic question. Where did you get your seats from? They look very familiar to me. I sold a set of 325is fronts and 02 rears that were reupholstered to match to a FAQ member some 13 years ago.

there is a company here in SoCal that rebuilds 325is seats, a 510 guy bought them but didn’t use them so I acquired them from him 4 years ago 

If you plan on doing track days in CA, I hope to see you out there. I'm close to sorting mine out again

I’ve done many track days on both 2 and four wheels, if I did another I’d honestly use my Daily that doesn’t have the number of hours invested 

Again, great work. Now ditch the honda logo on the valve cover for a plain blank cover. Would be perfect! 

that might be the way to go 

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

What do you expect to gain with Haltech over stock ecu?

People like to throw away hundreds of hours of near perfect tuning that a team of engineers provided. Unless running boost, I personally see no reason for changing. 

That being said, I wish the OP the best of luck!

The car looks great and I bet it is a blast to drive! Great swap for sure!!  The K24 was nice in our e30 m3. It had decent torque and very reliable.

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

2 hours ago, chargin said:

I’ve done many track days on both 2 and four wheels, if I did another I’d honestly use my Daily that doesn’t have the number of hours invested 

I respect your belief. It is one reason for not tearing down mine into a restoration or at least new paint for a minimum. I've actually enjoyed all the wounds since I've owned mine the last 20 years. Years and years of late night memories and countless hours of time spent for just the thrill to see what the car can do in a modern world at speed. I ain't breaking records but the 02 really is an amazing platform that still impresses folks at the track. I can see what would happen if you got bit by the bug driving your setup at that platform. You might ditch the daily, ?.

I've been in a Delsol with a VTEC swap and it's amazing. We always ran together and switched once at a track day and it was fun to see what the cars could do with a driver. FWD is weird. Side notes. Im at 2150lbs, 50/50 corner balance, still 55/45 f/r. 185hp at the wheels(not sure what that translates to motor), 245/10 CR box and a 3.91lsd. It's a kick in the pants. 

You've got a rocketship there. I want to be copilot someday.

Cheers

Moe

Edited by MOESPEED2002
  • Like 1

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

Congratulations @charginon getting it on the road again to enjoy all your hard work! Looking forward to some video. Install looks very clean. Well done.

In hindsight, a big part of me wishes I had gone this route over the turbo M10. Having everyday reliability with 9000RPM sounds like a blast. The turbo is lots of fun, but is taking a lot more to get to the end state I want than I thought it would. 

The solution is probably that I need another 2002 for an F20 (or Kseries) swap! ?

• Like 1

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

9 hours ago, chargin said:

Everyone “Said” it would have more control to eliminate driving bugs, that’s really the only reason, on the swap build you eliminate about 80% of the Honda wiring, for things like Power roof, ABS, Air Bags and such. Everything looks ok and drives fine but for instance it idles 800 rpms high, so I’ll see what the Haltech does, everyone who I’ve spoken to is running a aftermarket ECU/ECM

That's basicly what I read too. I got to test my racecar with the swapped engine couple of times and dyno.

One thing is that I'd like the VTEC to engage 1k earlier but I don't think I'm willing to pay Haltech money for it.  I don't believe there's any significant power to gain other than that without other modifications. I love how it starts with stock ecu and basicly it works just fine.

Oh, another issue is the japanese speed limiter at 180km/h as I have JDM engine. I'm going to try just cutting the speed signal from ECU (or ECM in Honda language? ).

I had high idle too. Idle control valve was sticking and after cleaning it works fine.

• Like 2

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

48 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's basicly what I read too. I got to test my racecar with the swapped engine couple of times and dyno.

One thing is that I'd like the VTEC to engage 1k earlier but I don't think I'm willing to pay Haltech money for it.  I don't believe there's any significant power to gain other than that without other modifications. I love how it starts with stock ecu and basicly it works just fine.

Oh, another issue is the japanese speed limiter at 180km/h as I have JDM engine. I'm going to try just cutting the speed signal from ECU (or ECM in Honda language? ).

I had high idle too. Idle control valve was sticking and after cleaning it works fine.

There is no substitute for factory engine calibration and mapping. They truly have it down. Most of the time, factory ECU's even have faster processing speeds etc over aftermarket systems.  For you, perhaps Hondata would be better?  I think they use all the factory settings and maps but, you can modify from there.

Edited by evil02

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

30 minutes ago, evil02 said:

For you, perhaps Hondata would be better?  I think they use all the factory settings and maps but, you can modify from there.

thanks, your experienced input is appreciated 

• Like 1