• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosing Driveline Noise

FunElan

Hey all, 

I've had this interesting "click" sound in the driveline since getting everything past the trans refreshed (G245 5 speed). The driveshaft was aligned twice by a reputable shop in SoCal, the first time was right after the newly balanced unit, new e21 mount, center bearing, and flex disc were installed. A few months later, the flex disc was cracked, so they realigned the driveshaft and chalked it up to the new e21 mount "settling."

My searches here led me to checking the tightness of the 36 mm castle nut on the hub (thanks for posting this more than once @TobyB) - with a 3 foot pipe extension, those bastards were pretty damn tight, and I did just have a shop redo the bearings last year anyway. 

So my hypothesis is that perhaps the nuts on the flex disc are hitting the shift linkage, but it only happens on certain "takeoffs." It's difficult to hear this when moving, but in the videos you can kind of tell it only happens when the unit goes from no load -> load. I did get up under there recently and found that there's not a ton of room above that flex disc. If the driveshaft is considered "aligned," does this mean I should maybe try a new shifter setup?

Today I went to my favorite "noise finding" alley, which has a wall on one side, to get some video. Also attaching a (bad) photo of the shift tower situation, with the old cracked flex disc. Thanks in advance

7514CF20-C5C2-44E1-AD83-EAB838094583_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by FunElan
file reupload

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Video links aren't working.

Does this only happen under power?

Does this happen in neutral while coasting?

As long as the driveshaft is in plane, you should be OK. Never heard of an E21 transmission bushing needing to "settle"

Did you go from the 1600 3-flex disc driveshaft to the later single flex disc?

How many miles/kilometers from flex disc install to replacement?

Take a photo of the fan clearance from the top & bottom of the radiator.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

6 hours ago, dlacey said:

I would check play in rear wheel bearings, worn CV joint, worn Prop UJ

These were all replaced/refreshed last summer. Is there a manageable way to test play in the Ujoint? I assume I have to lock the driveshaft somehow?

4 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Video links aren't working.

Does this only happen under power?

Does this happen in neutral while coasting?

As long as the driveshaft is in plane, you should be OK. Never heard of an E21 transmission bushing needing to "settle"

Did you go from the 1600 3-flex disc driveshaft to the later single flex disc?

How many miles/kilometers from flex disc install to replacement?

Take a photo of the fan clearance from the top & bottom of the radiator.

Weird...here are the links to youtube: 

https://youtu.be/sRX8lYokbl8

https://youtu.be/ggxeXJ-PAxs

I only hear it when taking off from a stop. In one of the videos, I keep driving for a few seconds more and it doesn't happen. The car has had the 5 speed in for over a decade, I just installed new parts. I'll get a photo of the radiator clearance today!

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Had a similar sound with Vern & had to rebuild the differential.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

8 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Had a similar sound with Vern & had to rebuild the differential.

Interesting....I just had the diff rebuilt. This sounds to me like the noise is ahead of the diff. Maybe I need to get the car on a lift and have someone "drive it"

Edited by FunElan
  • Like 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

How about the splines in the center of the driveshaft?

Center bolt/ nut nice and tight?

Or the output shaft flange nut on the trans?

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL