• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Verboten Screw Tool. DIY

PaulTWinterton

It's one thing to summon the courage to adjust the verboten screw on the Kugelfischer pump, but it's quite another to get the job done.  There is the usual body contortion and wedging of hands to reach the screw.  Add to that the delicate process of loosening the locknut and turning the screw only a few degrees at a time.  I found a way to make it easier.  Or I should say I created a tool that makes the job a little easier.

Because the screw is tucked away behind the KFish pump amid hoses, intake, and linkages, the tool must be long and skinny to reach the distance and fit easily into the hex slot.  On the early cars it's a slot head screw.  Much easier but another modified Flex Hex or should I say "Flat Flex" could be adapted from this experiment.  From the engine side you can reach the locknut with a long 10 mm wrench to loosen and tighten the luck nut.

FLEX_HEX1.jpg

I took the idea to my buddy Rick (@ stephers) and he had just the spring that I needed.  I think you could find a suitable one at Home Depot or Lowes.  Rick also had the inspiration to taper the screwdriver and hex key to fit inside the spring.  Worked like a charm.

FLEX_HEX2.jpg

WARNING: PRE-MARK THE ORIGINAL POSITION OF THE VERBOTEN SCREW.  If problems occur you can re-adjust the screw back to the original position.

ScrewMarked1.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 7

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, jgerock said:

What about using a 1/4” drive ratcheting hand knob driver instead of the screwdriver handle?

As long as the shaft of the driver is "skinny". The angle of the screw is directly inline with the #1 runner and the spring bends near the end to miss the runner.  (does that make sense? :blink:

I would expect SnapOn to make a tool or two to do this job, but I haven't seen them.  Flex 10mm nut driver? Flex hex driver?

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I ground down a 10mm 'universal' socket to get to the nuts on the DCOE's.  You know, the socket that's also a universal joint?

I left just enough metal to hold the nut securely, but it now fits in there without denting up the trumpets.

There's a set of flex hex drivers-  maybe K-D makes them?- but I don't know if they do Metric.  I have one, randomly. 

I think it's for adjusting a Chevy distributor's dwell, Tom.  ;)

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL