• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal chrome corrosion cleaning tips?

BarrettN

I tripped across a set of euro turn signals that are pretty rough (but they weren't a fortune either) - any tips on the best way to treat the corrosion on the chrome parts?

IMG-20200705-WA0003.jpeg

I'm planning on evaporust for the steel bracket parts. 

IMG-20200705-WA0005.jpeg

I don't have any experience with messing with lenses, my initial thought is not to do anything to them unless someone here has suggestions. 

IMG-20200705-WA0001.jpeg

It looks like gaskets may still be available so I will replace the crusty gaskets assuming that's correct. 

All suggestions on how to clean them up best are welcome. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

This is a condensed version of how it's done. 

This set in the pic,were corroded even more than yours. Restoring them is very time consuming and requires lots of masking and a bead blast cabinet but, they turn out very nicely as long as the lenses aren't cracked and broken.

The top,flat part that gets so corroded first gets bead blasted,then I lay a sheet of 220 wet or dry on a known FLAT surface and start sanding till they are flat. I then fill the corrosion holes with Permatex "LIquid Metal" comes in a tube. Then, sand again and repeat til the holes are filled and flat. I paint that flat part with several light coats of "chrome" paint.

On the inside metal parts, I first mask off the lens and paint the metal parts of the bulb holder with spray "Matte Nickel" available at Home Depot. After that is dry I go back in and paint the reflector part "chrome" with a small brush.

PM me if you want me to redo them for you.

Good Luck,

Dan in Colorado 

IMG_3454.thumb.JPG.c5fc136ca7f7b6bc8e2e1c7ddff6f6e8.JPG

02.JPG

Edited by coloincaalpine
  • Like 2

And don’t forget, Euro signals have to be wired a little differently.... cue the Technical Articles section

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

My turn signals were in very similar condition.  As noted above, I put in the hard yards to sand them back and polish them up.

I would guess that mine were chromed stainless steel, as you could see various layers being removed by the sanding.

Progressing through grits and finishing with polishing compound and wax gave a very respectable finish.  Some of the dark mottling will show through the final finish.

The hardest part was the finesse required around the lens, careful use of a Dremel is the go.

Mitch,Not the lens but, you can remove the rivets and even install a U.S. bulb holder.  What I do is buy a piece of I think 3/1`6" or 1/8", copper tube, cut and flare the ends to hold the bulb holder in place.  Cut the tube,flare one end install it then, flare or peen the other end. You just have to make sure you buy the tube size to fit your screws.

-dq

Edited by coloincaalpine

I swapped the US bulb holder/bar to the euro lens and pop riveted it in the original locations in the euro lens.  Used the hollow center of the rivet for the screws. 

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Might consider spraying the lenses a clear amber hobby paint on the outside (Tamiya clear orange model paint or amber "stained glass" Krylon) and maybe go over that with a UV resistant clearcoat over it to protect the finish and against rapid fading. Havent personally done this but could be an option for you to freshen them up. maybe practice first on a US bulbous version as nobody wants those anymore, until everyone has the Euro ones and the US ones are all gone. I'm thinking of trying this method on some extra faded side marker reflectors i have.