• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed conversion experts help

fsf517

Hi, I haven’t posted in a while. But I do like to lurk around. Much knowledge. I am Still working on a 2000c 1968 coupe.  My car was an Automatic. I am slooooowly making progress. Almost ready to install a drivetrain.  I have a typical M10 engine from a 76 2002.  I have also a Getrag 245 5 speed trans with mechanical speedo.  My pedals and clutch master cylinder are already sorted out along with my clutch fluid reservoir.  I have the original rear subframe and long nose differential installed. I have the original 2 piece driveshaft. Question is “How will i benefit from a blunt tech conversion kit?”  I have never done a conversion and am not hands on familiar. I won’t be diving in immediately, but trying to prepare myself. Has anyone on here done this conversion with this car? What do I need to know? Any info will help. Trans mount(s) shift plate etc. Thanks Fred 

I used the basic Blunt kit to install a G245 into my auto 1975 and everything went very smoothly. I would get the more comprehensive kit from them if I was doing it again.  Also ended up getting the driveshaft from them. They can probably accommodate the long nose diff but I would call about that. All parts are well designed and built, fit great and Steve is always there for customer service. I am not a mechanic by any means but this can be accomplished with basic hand tools and some enthusiasm. A transmission jack will be helpful and jack the front of the engine up if installing the engine and trans separately. there's a lot of info to search on this site but I recommend the Blunt kit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fsf517@yahoo.com said:

Has anyone on here done this conversion with this car?

Yes, I put a 5 speed in my ‘67. I used a modified horseshoe bracket and Blunt’s shifter platform. Very solid. 

F13E23DF-BC42-4EA1-9279-5FDEE68C25F3.jpeg

F27A649D-3DE7-40B1-9F61-BF8B60846F49.jpeg

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Before using a pre-made driveshaft, make sure the distance between the rear of your 5 speed and the long-neck diff nose on your coupe is the same as a 2002.  IIRC the coupe has a longer wheelbase than the '02 (same as an NK floorpan?), so that's gonna make a difference in driveshaft length.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

13 minutes ago, mike said:

Before using a pre-made driveshaft, make sure the distance between the rear of your 5 speed and the long-neck diff nose on your coupe

The 2000C's driveshaft will certainly be different; it is two-piece and splined in the rear portion.  You only need to remove material from the front of the driveshaft.

Install the transmission, then measure from the back of the transmission to the center support bearing. Have your driveshaft shop remove the difference from the front portion and weld the new 3-prong flange on to make the total length meet your measurement (back of transmission to center support bearing).

...I measured the total length and though we measured many times, it was still too long by a bit.  We measured from the CSB to the back of the transmission and went in perfectly. 

Ed

I read lots of arguments about the horseshoe bracket, but I've never seen anyone do a force/moment/torque calculation to see how much torque is on the body bracket while wheeling over a railroad crossing.  I have no dog in the fight because the 5spd has been in my car a long time with a cross bar mount on new mounts body side..

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

We modified this horseshoe bracket from a design sent to me for an NK sedan. This one uses much shorter arms. At the time I didn’t want to modify the car too much from original. 

I can testify that the whole engine transmission assembly was well-balanced and the bracket is under very little load in a static environment. 

Here’s a picture as we were mocking it up. 

4D528E60-325E-4142-8C7E-AF25E80DBD9C.jpeg
We had it up in the air after the 5000 mile journey to O-Fest and beyond. Everything was tight and unstressed, as best we could see. 

I’ll keep an eye on the original hangers over the years. 

If some courteous 02er in the process of fitting a 5 spd  would take a stick and prop from the rear trans mounting on the trans to a bathroom scale and get the vertical load, the answer about twist on the original mounts in the tunnel can easily be determined.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Wow , great information . Thank you for the help. And zinz , great looking coupe. I love the red chassis. Very clean . I did my chassis in white chamonix . So this knowledge will get me going in the correct direction. On the subject of the horseshoe , if I buy the blunt tech kit it appears to come with a rear bracket in a C shape . For the 2000c coupe am I going to need to fabricate the horseshoe and not use the supplied bracket? Thanks again. Fred

as i have said in so many other threads, stay away from the C shaped brackets.  the load is an issue. i have seen them bend the brackets on the tunnel.  and it is not just a load issue, it is an alignment issue.  just say no to that crappy cantilever design.  do it right with properly installed, in the right location, new tunnel brackets.

2xM3

8 minutes ago, M2M3 said:

stay away from the C shaped brackets

The NK is different from a 2002 as to where the engine and transmission sits.  On my 2000CS the horseshoe bracket is working beautifully. On my 2002, I installed new hangers.

Is it better than installing new hangers? No, but it is a viable solution for those who don't want to go the route of installing new hangers (welding, or drilling).

My $0.02

2 hours ago, zinz said:

The NK is different from a 2002 as to where the engine and transmission sits.  On my 2000CS the horseshoe bracket is working beautifully. On my 2002, I installed new hangers.

Is it better than installing new hangers? No, but it is a viable solution for those who don't want to go the route of installing new hangers (welding, or drilling).

My $0.02

i don't have an NK, but judging from the pictures, the setup looks like the identical problem potential as with a 2002...about a 4in cantilever off of brackets not designed for that load.  

your car is stunning!!!!! ?

2xM3