• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some tips on compressing front bumper pistons

cvvick

I/m replacing the diving boards on my '74 tii and I'm looking for some pointers.

I've drilled into the front pistons (near the front) and relieved the pressure - fluid came out.

Any tips/techniques for compressing the pistons toward the nose?  They won't budge even with some gentle (so far) persuasion with a hammer

Don’t drill holes in them. The fluid in them is under pressure and nasty.  (edit... sorry didn't see the fine print of the OP...carry on) 

There are many old threads on how to do this, you might try searching them. 

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

16 hours ago, C.V. Vick said:

... I/m replacing the diving boards on my '74 tii and I'm looking for some pointers.

I've drilled into the front pistons (near the front) and relieved the pressure - fluid came out...

Or are you simply moving the original big bumpers further inboard? That would explain your need to collapse the shock-absorbing brackets.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

25 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Is there a need to trim down the rubber on the side?

yes

folks typically chop a piece out of the middle and overlap along one of the pleats/ribs.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I'm swapping out my old bumpers for euro spec bumpers. The mounting adapters have the new bumper sticking out too far  - I want to tuck them in.

I'm a bit wary trying to drive the car into a a wall/tree. Is this the way any else has done it?

21 hours ago, C.V. Vick said:

I'm swapping out my old bumpers for euro spec bumpers. The mounting adapters have the new bumper sticking out too far  - I want to tuck them in.

I'm a bit wary trying to drive the car into a a wall/tree. Is this the way any else has done it?

The bumper mounts for true Euro-spec square taillight cars with original Euro bumpers are different from the U.S. system with shock absorbing brackets. Even the bumper height is different. A few places have devised brackets — someone please jump in here with names of such places! — to help U.S.-spec car owners install Euro-bumpers on their cars. I don’t believe any of these systems retain the shock-absorbing mounts.

I’ve not yet seen Euro bumpers on a square taillight with the U.S. shock absorbing brackets remaining in place.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

8 hours ago, C.V. Vick said:

looks like you are really new to the FAQ.  welcome.  there is a ton of info here....it would be useful if you tried searching for the info you seek.  it has been covered many times already.

2xM3

2 hours ago, Jdddrigot said:

I’m getting ready to do the same thing to my 1975 02A and found this article really helpful - http://ericsgarage.blogspot.com/2015/01/1975-bmw-2002-bumper-tuck.html?m=1

E084D432-C2DA-4D42-A083-14EDC1329755.jpeg

Well... C.V. Vick is replacing the U.S. bumpers with Euro bumpers. Your link is not about swapping Euro bumpers for the U.S. bumpers; it’s about simply pulling the U.S. bumpers closer to the body. These are two different projects.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv