Stuart

72 grill reinstall questions

4 posts / 166 viewsLast Reply

GM -

Reinstalling all 3 grill sections after a restoration.  So I never really took a close look at the center kidney but to my old eyes, one end is a tad wider then the other?  If so, does the wider portion go up or down?  Finding it a challenge to get the side sections to sit in flush on the section just outside the headlight and the hook on the outside seems like I will need an extra set of hands to get it back in. 

Last question, does the hook face to outside or to the center, or does it matter?

Thanks,

Stuart   

I keep forgetting which end of the center grill goes up and which goes down, so I'll leave that to another (mine are probably upside down!)  I think the wider portion goes up, but I only have a 50% chance of being correct.  Mark yours for the next time you have it out.

As for the side grilles:  I think you'll find it easier to install the end hooks with the hook end facing towards the center of the car.  Install the hook before placing the grille in place; it should be long enough to go through the hole in the bodywork.  Then tighten the four screws on the grille's face.  Finally, either have someone gently press on the lower corner of the grille (near the fake light lens) while you thread the plastic thumbnut onto the hook, and then tighten the thumbnut.  It's easier if someone (you, if you're dexterous, or a helper) pushes on the lower corner of the grille 'till it's flush with the bodywork while you run up the thumbnut.  

mike

Agreed: wider end of the center grille goes up!

Regards,

Steve

Positioning the center grill properly makes the outer edges of it more parallel to the inner edges of the side grills.  I've drawn an arrow with a Sharpie on the inside of the center grill to keep me straight!