• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 Engine, 2.5 liter

swift53

Hello friends,

I finally bought an M3 S14 Engine to transplant into my '02. It is a 2.5 Liter

The engine was purportedly rebuilt, yet being very trusting, I would like to disassemble

the motor and double check everything. Specially, change the rods as they are a very funny

sort, I think the brand is MecHart, did a little digging and appear to be explosive items.

Ceratinly do not want that.

The engine has never run since rebuild, so it woulds be great if someone could refer me to finding a good  dis / reassembly

manual, and ignore if I need to replace the head gasket, as all is new in there.

Thank you!

Regards, Alberto

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 5.JPG

• Like 1

I ran Mechart rods in race engines for about 10 years until he retired and closed up the shop.  I think I still have an incomplete set somewhere. 

I never had a single problem with them, as a matter of fact I had a customer knock a drive belt off a dry sump pump and make the better part of 1/2 lap with no oil pressure.  All of the rods and main caps were BLUE.  The crank block and rods were junk but the rods did not FAIL. A couple of the rod bolts had welded themselves to the rods and had to be cut off.  The main reason I used them is they were easy to work with and would make me anything I wanted with a reasonable turn around time.  I was experimenting with long rod set ups (this is before the S14 engine came out with the 144mm rods)  and Mechart would make me a set of rods in less than 5 weeks and Corrillo wanted 5 months!  

I am really surprised to see those rods,  They have been out of production since the early 90's 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Well, that is very reassuring and very pleased they did you well. Before posting this, I googled Mechart

and there some not very flattering comments, but if you reassure me that it will be allright to keep them,

and after all it is  a street motor, so no craziness on the track, then I will. Of course I will not hold you rersaponsible :)

Now, as far as taking the engine apart to check all's OK, I really need a manual, I have never done  the M3's.

I really need specs too.

Thank you !

Regards, Alberto

• Like 1

I know nothing about Mechart, but they are gorgeous. If they need to come out, I could use one for wall art.

And in an s14, just drooling here. Keep us posted.

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

Funny, I remember the name (or seeing it listed as part of an engine rebuild spec.....years and years ago).  That is a pretty cool looking connecting rod. Interesting someone used them in an m3 motor, given how long out of production they are.

S14power.com should be a good resource as well,. Especially for the carbon fiber plenum you "need"

:)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

21 minutes ago, swift53 said:

Just posted there Ray, thanks

Why do I need a carbon fiber plenum ?

Regards, Alberto

They breathe better :)

.. You called me about 5 years ago talking about this potential project. Glad you are getting around to it! :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

7 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

BTW where did you get the pictures of the rod and piston out of the engine? That is definitely not a piston out of a 2.5L S14

The photos came from the engine builder / owner...

That is why I want to take the motor apart...