• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My “chamonix” paint

This paint can came within my car when I bought it almost two decades ago. 

Anyone familiar with this type( acrylic urethane) of paint or have seen this color in use?   I know nothing about paints, but have some areas that I’d like to get resprayed and curious of what type of paint to get next. Keeping the same color of course. 

1741CBB0-C6EA-4B78-A91F-4ABCA07434F9.jpeg

Yup,

What you have there is a match done by the PPG 'color match computer'- thus 'prophet formula'.

If there are a series of numbers somewhere else on the can, you stand a decent chance of getting

something pretty close, as DCC is (well, was recently) still available.

https://www.ppgdeltron.com/productsystems

That said, Deltron is what I use to paint the race car, since it's cheap, easy to shoot- and did I mention, cheap?

It's not the top of the PPG line, by any stretch...

Without the numbers, I would take the car to a good shop, hand them the can, and wish them luck.

A good shop will be able to match it close enough, and then blend it so's you don't notice it's not very close.

As the man at the shop once said, "Son, Black is Black, but everyone's opinion of what is white is very different"

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Most good paint shops have a spectrographic matching machine (or their paint supplier does).  With this equipment they can match the color of your car now, not what it was 20 years ago.  That'll give you a much better chance of matching existing panels when you're doing a partial repaint.  

I had my Sahara '73 repainted, nose to windshield in 1990, and then the rest in 1991 (Desert Storm intervened).  Then the hood had to be repainted in 1995 (big ding), the nose panel in 2003 (road debris hit), the roof and deck lid in 2007 (damage from something that washed off a roof at work), and the left quarter and rear panels in 2018 (rear-ender).  All done by the same shop, and it all matches!  So it is quite possible.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, so you had new paint mixed up with each paint job over the years?

I’m probably going to use the paint I have to get some spray cans made up for engine bay/rust areas, but a good idea to get exterior scanned when I have a section painted. 

2 hours ago, floatinghead said:

I’m probably going to use the paint I have to get some spray cans made up for engine bay/rust areas, but a good idea to get exterior scanned when I have a section painted. 

20 year old paint?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, floatinghead said:

Actually the body shop that did the work (same shop did all the repaints/repairs) had the paint mixed to match what was on the car, which was the correct mix code for Sahara back in 1990 when the first paint work was done.

mike

Ludwig at Mt Mitchell, 5-15.jpg

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite