• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Headlight Relays?

RMBaiada

I have  A 1974 BMW 2002 US model (VIN - 4223665), which I purchased new, that I am rebuilding.

I have the wring harness back in my car, but I am having trouble with the high beams. When I pull the blinker stalk, I hear and can feel the 2 rear relays clicking on the inner front left fender, but no high beams. The low beams work fine, and the high beams light up if I put power to the silver (low) side of the fuse box, so the connection from the fuse box to both lights is good.

Can someone tell me what each of the 3 relays on the left inner fender do, front to back? Are these 3 relays the same?

Also, what is the replacement part number for each of these relays, again, front to back.

Thank you

Michael

Relays on the front-left inner fender from front to back are:

High Beam    

Low Beam 

Horn 

Blank relay holder (use for fog or driving light relay, etc.)

I use Bosch relay P/N  0- 332-019-151  12V 30A . 

Here is my wiring sketch for the high beams (fuse #11) and low beams (fuses #9 &#10) and relays. (also for fog lights if needed).

Fuses 9,10 &11.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another relay question if you have time.

There is a relay under the steering column, with 2 unconnected thicker wires (12 gauge?) wires coming out of it, one black/white and one black, which don't seem to have anywhere to connect. There are also 2 other thin wires (18 gauge?) connected to this relay, one brown/black and one black which are connected into the wiring harness.

Do you know what this relay is for? Is it part of the blinkers, which is the last thing that doesn't work, but the hazard lights do work.

Also, do you know where the flasher unit is located, and is it the same flasher unit for the hazard lights?

image.png

image.png

38 minutes ago, RMBaiada said:

Also, do you know where the flasher unit is located, and is it the same flasher unit for the hazard lights?

Should be on the left up by the hood release lever and it is the same unit as the hazard lights.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

The turn signal/emergency flasher relay is as Mark indicated; it's marked "Nicht Werfen" which, as I found out does not translate as "it doesn't work."  Don't confuse it with the larger windshield wash/wipe relay, which is nearby and is marked "Wisch/Wash/Ger-something or other"  

And that round relay that says "summer" that you pictured is indeed the key-in-ignition buzzer; it has a particularly annoying squeal and was quickly disconnected by the original owner when first heard.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite