• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window seal replacement

Mike A

Has anyone recently replaced the window water seal? BMW p/n  51326540282 ?  Photos of the new stuff available does not appear to have the same extrusion profile. Was wondering whether there are issues. TIA for any info. Mike

bad window seal.jpg

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Are you referring to the exterior seal that fastens to the window seal trim at the top of the door?  If so, the original part was a rubber extrusion.  Some years ago that part was discontinued and replaced by a rigid plastic seal with some sort of felt on the wiping edge that contacts the glass.  The unfortunate byproduct of that style is scratched glass from grit that became embedded in the wiping edge.  

I'm not sure what BMW is selling now--the plastic piece or the original rubber squeegee, but either will work.  Pictures of what your discussing would be most helpful.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike....yes...the seal on my car (what's left of it) is rubber  and it is toast

bad window seal.jpg

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

I just bumped into this piece today as it fell off a shelf in the garage. The part number on the bag is different than what you mentioned.  I put one on the drivers side about a year ago but still need to do the passenger side. Seems like it fits ok but doesn't quite lay flat somehow.

DSC_0452.JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 7502 said:

I just bumped into this piece today as it fell off a shelf in the garage. The part number on the bag is different than what you mentioned.  I put one on the drivers side about a year ago but still need to do the passenger side. Seems like it fits ok but doesn't quite lay flat somehow.

DSC_0452.JPG

The part Mike A refers to - 51326540282 - goes at the bottom of the door glass/metal window guide.

7502's part 51211847798, sealing lip, supersedes 51211836290.  It looks like the proper piece to fit in the trim at the exterior top of the door.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

51 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

The part Mike A refers to - 51326540282 - goes at the bottom of the door glass/metal window guide.

7502's part 51211847798, sealing lip, supersedes 51211836290.  It looks like the proper piece to fit in the trim at the exterior top of the door.

51211847798 is what I need , not the BMW p/n  51326540282.  I had the wrong part number....thanks

Edited by Mike A