• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: '73 dashboard, without cracks!

Stein-man

What does "STB" stand for?  I would have expected may be "WTB" in the Wanted ad section.

BTW, guy in SoCal (Jose Luis I believe) can redo your dash for around $1500.

JustDashes want $2500.

73 is two-piece, right?  He doesn't do one piece dashes.

https://www.facebook.com/joseluis.ibarra.505?fref=hovercard&hc_location=none

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/213529-recent-dashboard-resto/

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for one for several weeks.  Have found a few decent ones, but nothing in primo condition.

Are you aware of an outfit in SoCal called Vintage Dashes?  They don't have a web page, but If your an instagram or Facebook user, they are here:

https://www.facebook.com/Vintage-Dashes-1868865246759772/ 

https://www.instagram.com/vintagedashes/

This outfit has been making new replacement dashes for 70's ear Datsun/Nissan 240Z and 510's for years.  They have been working on a new replacement 2002 dash for the last few months, and have it in prototype status now.  They are expecting to go into production sometime in May if all goes to plan.  Not sure if this is of interest or worth waiting for, but wanted to pass it along.  Based on the prices of their Nissan repro products, they will be much cheaper than trying to find a new BMW OEM dash.

Hope this helps,

Crash   

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black

If you are lucky you may find a Euro crack free dash, it will not be inexpensive. Have been waiting for years for the repro from Vintage Dashes. Have spoken to them for the past few years at the Laguna Seca Festorics. Seems like it's finally happening. 

I used a '74 Tii one piece for 2 years, the less expensive 2-piece dash place flaked on me & took 6 months to get my incomplete dash back. It was a fools errand, wasted a lot of time trying to save a few hundred dollars.

Best option is to send it to Just Dashes, will take 15-18 weeks & cost ~$2500. They also re-stencil so the finished dash is better than new. Worth the time & money if you require perfection.

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

17 hours ago, Stein-man said:

Still looking for a '72, '73 dash, crack-free.  More than happy to pay going rate, thanks!

The 2-piece dashboard arrived with the April 1971 “facelift” known as the Modell 71. So “late ‘71,” ‘72, and ‘73 model ‘02’s came with the same 2-piece version. Of course, by now, dashboards have also been swapped. My ‘73, for instance, came to me with a 1-piece dashboard (square taillight dashboard). I’ll swap back to a 2-piece when the car is re-painted.

Good luck with the search. It generally takes some time!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

43 minutes ago, Stein-man said:

Steve -

Thanks for the info, you are a wizard.  Mine cracked dash says "Fan" on the lower left switch position.  A dash I was recently shown has "Front Fog Lamps" in that position.  What is the difference?

- Rob

“Fan” on the lower left suggests a late ‘71 or a ‘72 dashboard; the fan control moved to the heater/defroster slides with ‘73 models (or possibly late ‘72 models).  “Front Fog Lamps” on the lower left suggests a square taillight dashboard (1-piece). There’s a current thread, initiated by David Layton, on this issue — well, sort of!

Best regards,

Steve

4 hours ago, Stein-man said:

Steve -

Thanks for the info.  Still looming for a 2-piece dash.  Meanwhile, I will be calling Just Dashes and Vintage Dashes to see what they have to say.

- Rob

Hey, Rob,

It sounds as if Vintage Dashes’ repros are still a couple months off — we saw an early sample on this forum — so if you have the time, you retain the possibility of finding a used dash while you wait to see the final product from Vintage Dashes. Just Dashes, in the meantime, isn’t likely going away and produces a high-quality product, albeit at a relatively high price. Some of the recent prices I’ve heard for NOS dashes — there always seems to be a few still around — are clearly keyed off the cost of a Just Dashes re-molded dash.

Good luck,

Steve