• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Which minivan?

8 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

^ How so? A rainbow-shitting unicorn paintjob isn't THAT hard to replicate ;) Have found my first unplanned upgrade though, been reading about Honda's VCM (variable cylinder MIS-management) and the various ways to go about disabling it! At least not quite as ridiculous as buying a GM with a manual transmission that by design doesn't let you shift into 2nd gear, am I right? Lol!

It's nothing without the slot mags, heart-shaped window, and mismatched half-whitewall tires. And I'm willing to bet actual money that you did not opt for the two-tone brown shag interior. Hell, you don't even have a rotating disco ball in there, do you? Fail, fail, fail....

• Haha 1

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the Odyssey, right? Drove it around for about a week and kept thinking to myself, this ticking noise, while pretty quite, I just can't convince myself is really 'normal,' sounds like noisy valvetrain lifters, but how can that be on a 2009 car? Sure enough, solid lifters! So I spend a day tearing into the thing to adjust all the valve clearances (the 2002 eccentric style adjusters are MUCH friendlier, by the way!) and look what I found! #5 exhaust lobe completely spalled and all chewed up, and apparently this is somewhat common!

IMG_5135.thumb.jpg.16bd1ec052cc7eee285be05b413f2120.jpg

$1000 in 2 new cams, one new rocker, and a whole bunch o' gaskets later, it's finally back on the road for 'real' and now purrs instead of scrabbles while running! I'm quite happy with it now, but sheesh, where's all that Honda reliability stuff I've always heard so much about? Old BMWs (as in everything prior to Nikasil and Vanos) are still #1 in terms of overall durability as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

Hopefully you get many enjoyable miles & years from your minivan.

To me it’s odd how some brands with major issues for years (Honda cam lobe wear & Toyota oil sludging & any Audi come to mind) yet still have and maintain a reputation for being reliable. While others brands that I have had impressive experience with (BMW & Chrysler) have a less stellar reputation.

Back in the mid 90s we replaced our smallish Quest for the new fuller sized second gen Odyssey.  Bought it new and could barely afford it but it was great looking and lots of nice touches like the then-new hide away rear seat. Had it for 90K miles and went through FOUR transmissions. Finally gave up and replaced with a Sienna, which has been to date the best riding and care-free vehicle we have ever owned.  After the sienna the wife went back to cars.  I have never and probably never will own a Honda again because of that fiasco.  I know Honda fixed the issue after that generation, but for me the damage had been done.  Don't discard the Sienna.

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

2 hours ago, irdave said:

Dude.  WTF?  Glad it's sorted now, but damn.

I know, right? I honestly don't begrudge the PO at all; it really was kinda subtle.  My wife couldn't pick out what I was talking about when I had here revving the engine for me to hear it better.  And since it's a sorta 'known' defect, well, this is one time in life where I just got unlucky.  But really since it could be fixed without taking the heads off, I'm going to choose to believe the worst is over and everything should be good for another 100k miles now.  Damn well better be, anyway!

• Like 1