• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber dcoe 45 jetting Help

I just put a new set of Weber Dcoe 45mm they we're jetted from the supplier

Engine Specs

91mm bore

10.1 compression

292 cam

Xdi ignition

Stahl headers

And carb specs

130 main jet

F16 emulsion tube

180 correction

50 idle jet

It's seem to run rich or my timing is off I drove the car this morning and I can hear a pooping nose from carbs while drive low speed cruising the carb are all sync and stuff idles great

I need help

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gre@semonkey02 said:

Float level they are brand new carbs didn't touch float level fuel pressure 2.0 to 2.5 psi

Definitely good practice to double check everything. You want to try and get the carbs matched as far as possible in every way. I wouldn’t rely on the Weber factory to set anything accurately. You may also want to check the transition jet drillings through the ports to see how they shape up compared to the throttle plates. There’s a few good threads on that subject posted not so long ago.

Have you connected up the cold start mechanisms or are they secured shut / removed? How is your linkage? Throttle plates snapping shut consistently?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Definitely good practice to double check everything. You want to try and get the carbs matched as far as possible in every way. I wouldn’t rely on the Weber factory to set anything accurately. You may also want to check the transition jet drillings through the ports to see how they shape up compared to the throttle plates. There’s a few good threads on that subject posted not so long ago.

Have you connected up the cold start mechanisms or are they secured shut / removed? How is your linkage? Throttle plates snapping shut consistently?
Okay
Cold start not hooked up but still there

What is the F number on your idle jets?  50 is fairly large depending on the air correction size.  I have found that a 45f9 works very well in most mildly cammed M10 engines.  Slight popping through the carbs can mean that it is slightly lean as the throttle is opened.  There is a jet in the bottom of the float bowl that is the inlet for the accelerator pump,  there is a bleed hole and the bigger it is the less fuel gets pumped by the accel system when you move the throttle slowly. 

Ignition timing is WAY retarded once you get off idle.  I would suspect you will want something like 32-24 deg by 3000 and you should not have to retard it at the top end (and defiantly not to 1 deg!!!)  A 292 cam is going to be all done making power by 7000 especially using 36mm chokes.   

• Like 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

What is the F number on your idle jets?  50 is fairly large depending on the air correction size.  I have found that a 45f9 works very well in most mildly cammed M10 engines.  Slight popping through the carbs can mean that it is slightly lean as the throttle is opened.  There is a jet in the bottom of the float bowl that is the inlet for the accelerator pump,  there is a bleed hole and the bigger it is the less fuel gets pumped by the accel system when you move the throttle slowly. 

Ignition timing is WAY retarded once you get off idle.  I would suspect you will want something like 32-24 deg by 3000 and you should not have to retard it at the top end (and defiantly not to 1 deg!!!)  A 292 cam is going to be all done making power by 7000 especially using 36mm chokes.   
My jet says 50 no f number and I'm not running dizz I'm running xdi ignition box so I talked to few guys they run 16 initial timing on the box and 3000 is about 21 to 24 degrees and 8000 is usually -2 to 0

If your idle jet just says 50 you have the wrong type of idle jet installed,  The IDA series carburetors used idle jets that look EXACTLY like the DCOE jets EXCEPT they don't use a air corrector hole, they have the air corrector built into the jet holder and they are numbered.  This would be a big reason you are running rich!!!!

I don't know how an xdi system works but if it is like the old Electromotive system they have a setting for initial timing then another knob for the amount of ADDITIONAL advance by 3000rpm and then another knob for ADDITIONAL advance by 8000 rpm.  So if you have an initial advance of 16 degrees and then you are ADDING 21-24 deg by 3000 that is 35-40 degrees total advance with a 10:1 compression ratio you could be having some detonation issues.  The -2 degrees by 8000rpm is insignificant. 

Have you confirmed that the numbers you have set on the dials are actual advance at the crankshaft with a timing light? 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

If your idle jet just says 50 you have the wrong type of idle jet installed,  The IDA series carburetors used idle jets that look EXACTLY like the DCOE jets EXCEPT they don't use a air corrector hole, they have the air corrector built into the jet holder and they are numbered.  This would be a big reason you are running rich!!!!

I don't know how an xdi system works but if it is like the old Electromotive system they have a setting for initial timing then another knob for the amount of ADDITIONAL advance by 3000rpm and then another knob for ADDITIONAL advance by 8000 rpm.  So if you have an initial advance of 16 degrees and then you are ADDING 21-24 deg by 3000 that is 35-40 degrees total advance with a 10:1 compression ratio you could be having some detonation issues.  The -2 degrees by 8000rpm is insignificant. 

Have you confirmed that the numbers you have set on the dials are actual advance at the crankshaft with a timing light? 
Okay well I ordered the carbs from IE and they sent them with those idle jets and main jets I have the carb came with 55f8 idle jet

And I can't check tining at the front the timing finger is gone because of the pick up ring and I have a after market flywheel so I can really check timing at the back hole
So I should drop the 3000 to like 15 so that total of 30 advance