• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Seat Delete

grizzlebar

Tapatalk search isn’t being helpful at the moment.

For those of you who have done the rear seat delete (with an esty carpet kit if you want to go that far), what wood did you use? Any issues with figment of the kit and using thicker wood?

Pm u
About esty

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, grizzlebar said:

Tapatalk search isn’t being helpful at the moment.

For those of you who have done the rear seat delete (with an esty carpet kit if you want to go that far), what wood did you use? Any issues with figment of the kit and using thicker wood?

look in the articles section....lots of detail.

2xM3

I used 1/8 luan. 1/4" is plenty. You need to decide what you'll be putting back there. Pillows? Coolers? Sweatshirts?

My luan bends when I lean on it, especially along the outside. But I won't be putting anything heavy back there, like a big dog or something, and it's what I had handy in the garage. I was also trying to save weight. 1/4 plywood is heavy, 1/8 luan is light.

I used esty's carpet as a template to cut it. Worked well. There will be a slight open area where the carpet meets the rear door cards. I simply cut a piece of old vinyl and glued it under there so it would all blend in.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, esty said:

Martin is a disgruntled rear seat deleter...his bottom section was short because he's using custom or incorrect rear side panels and blames the carpet maker...

you aren't asking me especially but 3/4 thick will work without changing things...i use 10mm luan from lowes...home depot

The issue is that late square tails (all 1976, some/most 1975) interior panels don't have the lower pocket that the carpet is meant to fit between. Maybe someone can get their car over to you for a measurement so folks with newer cars can have a good delete option.

• Like 1

I've used 1/4" on another similar car.  It's certainly heavier than 1/8" luan, but not heavy by any means.  It flexes when you step on it, but I don't feel like I'm going to break it.  Another issue is that it bounces when I hit the right kind of bumps.  A couple of screws would fix that, though.  Maybe 1/2" is the answer.  

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

Martin is a disgruntled rear seat deleter...his bottom section was short because he's using custom or incorrect rear side panels and blames the carpet maker...

you aren't asking me especially but 3/4 thick will work without changing things...i use 10mm luan from lowes...home depot
I wouldn't be disgruntled if u worked with me and sold me a piece of carpet

The issue is that late square tails (all 1976, some/most 1975) interior panels don't have the lower pocket that the carpet is meant to fit between. Maybe someone can get their car over to you for a measurement so folks with newer cars can have a good delete option.

thank you i gave him measurements and never got my piece still waiting for a piece of carpet from him

38 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

if someone want to make a pattern i'll change mmine...i've used the same patterns for both round and square tail care for 18 years now and this is the 1st time it's ever been a problem...i used the same patterns to make myself a RSD for my 76 and a 69 i owned and i thought they were fine...

look at Martin's thread from a week or 2 ago..i put pictures of 2 square tail cars with my RSD in the thread...i just don't see any problems with the fit but if i can improve things i will...i'm not opposed to changing things

10 minutes ago, esty said:

if someone want to make a pattern i'll change mmine...i've used the same patterns for both round and square tail care for 18 years now and this is the 1st time it's ever been a problem...i used the same patterns to make myself a RSD for my 76 and a 69 i owned and i thought they were fine...

look at Martin's thread from a week or 2 ago..i put pictures of 2 square tail cars with my RSD in the thread...i just don't see any problems with the fit but if i can improve things i will...i'm not opposed to changing things

While I have no stake in this dispute, I will say (without having seen any of these installations in person, only pictures online), that the fit appears to be great in early cars and probably good enough in the late cars that many people would be perfectly happy with it not reaching all the way out to the cards.

For the remainder, I think it depends on individual preference and expectations. The difference is big enough to be disappointing to some if they're expecting it to fit like it does on early cars.

Maybe add a footnote to your product description warning folks about this nuance of the late cars?

I have seen Estys standard carpets in person and they looked amazing to me.

While I have no stake in this dispute, I will say (without having seen any of these installations in person, only pictures online), that the fit appears to be great in early cars and probably good enough in the late cars that many people would be perfectly happy with it not reaching all the way out to the cards.
For the remainder, I think it depends on individual preference and expectations. The difference is big enough to be disappointing to some if they're expecting it to fit like it does on early cars.

Maybe add a footnote to your product description warning folks about this nuance of the late cars?

I have seen Estys standard carpets in person and they looked amazing to me.
Yes I have is full carpet kit it's perfect

15 minutes ago, mlytle said:

i have esty's full carpet kit and the rear seat delete kit in my 75.  Her kits fit PERFECTLY.  zero issues.

Got any good pictures of where the seat delete meets the interior panel?