• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace Blower motor brushes while still in car?

Roverguy

My blower motor brushed are really worn; one is totally missing.  I can inspect them from through the top of the firewall.

Any one have any luck replacing the brushes and carrier from up top?

I have an extra motor with good brushes.

It almost seems if you remove the hood latch bar you might be able to do it.

Trying to avoid that long tedious job of pulling the heater box out.

Thanks

Gary

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

That's gonna be a difficult job without removing the heater box..  You might be able to get the old brushes out and then not be able to get the new ones in place, with their tensioning springs installed, and the lead wires soldered to the brushes. 

And if sometime in its life the motor overheated due to drag from corrosion or another problem, the plastic brush holders will melt and cause even more trouble.  

I tried to replace a broken control cable by carefully cutting an access hole in the heater box under the dashboard.  I was able to maneuver the broken cable off its peg, but simply could not force the new one on.  I ended up removing and dismantling the heater to finish the job--then covered the hole I made with a piece of scrap aluminum.  

Think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and do a heaterectomy.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don't think you can do it without removing the box. I have mine apart right now and I really can't see a way to do it. The motor is still available new from blunt I think. The bearings could be getting worn, too, so it may be worth just picking up the new motor.

'74 Verona

The heater box is a pain to get out, but the advantage is that you can fix everything while replacing the brushes or motor. There is even a add in the Roundel for someone that will rebuild your heater box for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

Thanks for the reply, just hoping there was a way to sidestep the whole process, like laparoscopic surgery! 

I am trying to keep focused on the critical work I need to do, like swap my noisy 4 speed.

I could probably have that done in just a few more hours than the heater box.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

In many ways, I would rather pull the engine than the heater box.
The engine is just heavier.

Pulling the heater box is not hard, it just takes time.
As I recall the heater box seems to come out easier I’d you move it towards the drivers side. That way the control cables come out easier. Then you can refurbish everything at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car