• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found on German Ebay- Ti air filter housing

1 minute ago, Hans said:

Not so sure it's NK, which I believe all have straight outlets.

I think you are correct.  NK air boxes had straight outlets.  But since it doesn't have the cutout for the brake booster it might be from a 1600ti/GT.  I've seen that bracket in old Alpina photos.  Don't know if they created it.

In the pic the two top boxes are true 2002ti, the third one down is a 1600ti box, the fourth is an NK, and the bottom is tii.

20160403_163615.jpg

• Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Hi,

The bracket you can see fully in the fourth picture is strange and the end covers have some kind of eyelet, ears or something fixed to them where the snaps attach. The snaps are on the main housing though. My ti end pieces have nothing on the the outside like that, just the notch around the whole cap where the snapper hooks in. What is holding the filter in the last picture? My filters drop off unless the cover with the spring presses them in place....

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Yes, all very interesting.  It appears that they have repurposed a 1600GT (?) box with NK snorkels to produce something that won't work on a 2002!  Without the cutout for the booster it will be very hard to fit this under the hood.  Also, the front snorkel will end up angled up over the alternator.  The bracket that attaches to the inside bolt of the strut support bearing is pretty common and is still being made and sold on eBay Germany.

I guess it doesn't much matter at this point as someone bought it.

Here are some pics of an NK version with the snaps attached to the ears on the snorkels and the '02 version with the snaps on the body of the air box itself.

NK (2).jpg

NK (1).jpg

ti (2).jpg

ti (3).jpg

ti (1).jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

That's expensive. On the German club site there was an add for a black powder coated tii can, yes, its not so attractive at 120EUR as this golf coloured one....but I would cheap out and stick to black.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight