• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Connection on Back of Head

Brianmc02

Replacing the 121 head that had cracked on my '74 2002.  Got a replacement head from a fellow forum member, and had everything redone at a local machine shop.  Now I'm starting to reassemble things, and I see that I need to change the heater connection port on the back of the head to the later, larger diameter fitting. 

A 22 mm box wrench, a hammer, and some swearing have failed to break it free so far.  Anyone have any tips on this, or should I look into swapping hoses instead of fittings?  I have considered breaking out my impact wrench, but I'm not sure if that's taking a risk.  Do not want to damage my "new" head at this point - too far into it to start over.

2002 Head Water Inlet.jpg

Brian McCarthy

74 Golf 2002

90 Gletscherblau 735i

01 A***

02 M***

I have taken that fitting off of many heads with an impact wrench but have also broken a couple off inside the head.  I don't know if it would be safe to heat the head around the fitting slightly before hitting it with an impact.  I"m sure some of the engine builders out there will have suggestions.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Cross your fingers and anything else that you can when you decide to take it off.  There was a unlucky guy on the S14 board that decided to go at it and ended up with a head that had no threads left.  That head is a hell of a lot more expensive.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Success!  PB Blaster last night, and a 3 second pull on the trigger of an impact wrench this morning, and it zipped right out.  Glad I didn't have to do that one with the head in the car.

And the engine is a swap - an old Eric Kerman rebuild from the late '80s.  So the head and the pistons match.  Probably has less than 30k miles on it at this point, and hopefully the repaired head will make the car fun to drive again.

Brian McCarthy

74 Golf 2002

90 Gletscherblau 735i

01 A***

02 M***

However, if it hadn't come out, many cars are running around with large heater cores and valves

and small head nipples (and vice versa) using half of each hose and a splice.

Personally, I only take those out of heads that are trashed- as Jim says, it's a LOT of work

to repair the head if it's so electrowelded that the aluminum threads come out on the steel nipple.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL