• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texas Toler Turkis trip - thanks!

Jim_75Sahara

Yesterday I received a Christmas card from Barney and Tori Toler of Leander, TX. This photo was slipped inside that envelope. I'm at the wheel of this lovely Turkis, somewhere in the Hill Country, with a big smile on my face....

So, anyway, I met Barney a few years ago at MidAmerica 02 Fest. He had just pulled into the motel lot with a beautiful, just-completed '72 Golf 2002 that massively grabbed my attention. After a lengthy first conversation, we've been good friends ever since. Last October, I joined Terry Sayther and his crew of Texas 2002 owners for their Fall drive through the wide open spaces between Austin and San Antonio. I was greeted by Barney at the Austin airport. I'm no Andrew Wilson, I FLEW down there! I stayed overnight at the Toler's home and then we hit the road for Austin and Fredericksburg the next morning. I had arranged to borrow Tori's '74 Turkis 2002 for the long weekend. I had never driven an automatic 2002 before, so besides being my first time in this part of Texas, I'd get to experience a no-shift '02 as well. I had a great time from the moment I touched down to the moment my plane left Austin. Thanks to the Tolers, Terry Sayther, his wife, Debbie and everyone else involved with that gtg. I highly recommend either DRIVING there or if you're like me, FLYING there to enjoy the beautiful scenery and the fun of hanging out with some great 02 owners. Andrew drove down to Texas from Maine in 2017, but that's just NUTS... ha!

IMG_1688.jpg

• Like 3

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim's report of a fun time has me tempted to do the trip in 2019, but having driven to Austin in an '02 back in 2003 (same distance from Dayton as is Denver) I may fly 'cause I'm 15 years older now...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

May do this again in 2019 and actually drive a 2002 this time.

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40