• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this engine?

kontango

Can anyone help identify this engine for me? I know its an M10 but can I know which era?

Could I convert it to a Weber DCOE setup?

I tried look up the engine block number but didn't find any resources online. Hoping here might help.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-20 at 10.43.11 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-20 at 10.43.11 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-20 at 10.43.11 AM.jpeg

Edited by kontango

A seven-digit engine number below 150xxxx reminds me of an NK VIN. But I’ll freely admit I’m not particularly familiar with NK VIN’s and I’m not at all familiar with the convention of a “0” placed ahead of the engine number.

The block and the head will have casting dates, however, that might shed some light on the engine’s origins.

The block’s casting date will be on the right side of the block, approximately in the vicinity of the number one and two freeze plugs, as described more fully here:

The head’s casting date and type designation are generally on the left side of the head, approximately in the vicinity of the number three and four intake ports, at least during the 1970’s.

My ‘76 was manufactured on April 23, 1976. Below, its block was cast on March 26, 1976 (“26C76” in an oval frame) and its E21, 2-liter, head (“E21 2,0”) was cast in April 1976 (4 “nubs” surrounding “76”). That is the number three intake port at the center of the head photo.

Regards,

Steve

277668F4-899F-444A-BF4F-12BDBFC23C71.jpeg

357C0DF4-1438-41B4-B063-943B8D0B0FA8.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Could be 1.8 - 2.xx. Casting would tell what it was originally but needs to be opened up to be certain what it is now.

Webers? Why not. That head has same i/e ports as 2.0 so dual carb intake fits. Injectors are fitted to head iirc so those holes needs to be blocked and there is no place for OE fuel pump so one needs to go electric on that one.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

5 hours ago, Lee said:

The engine in the picture is clearly a 1.8l late e21 motor with the dreaded K-Jectronic injection.

Yes, assuming this injection and top end left the factory with this block — and that is certainly possible. But, by now, I’ve also seen 1.6-liter heads on 2.0-liter blocks, 2.0-liter heads on 1.6-liter blocks, etc.

When I put “1232992” into RealOEM.com, I get a June 1986 e30, a Euro-spec 325e, and thus an M20. So what does the number on this engine, 01232992, indicate?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?vin=1232992

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Yes, assuming this injection and top end left the factory with this block — and that is certainly possible. But, by now, I’ve also seen 1.6-liter heads on 2.0-liter blocks, vice versa, and etc.

When I put “1232992” into RealOEM.com, I get a June 1986 e30, a Euro-spec 325e, and thus an M20. So what is that engine number?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?vin=1232992

Regards,

Steve

Hey Steve.

1.6 engines were not US models. So, seeing that you are in NY, probabilities that it is a 1.6 are pretty slim. That being said, if you really want to know the whole truth, simply take the engine apart and measure. No big deal, especially that these motors are not worth much these days.

• Like 1

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

1 hour ago, Lee said:

That being said, if you really want to know the whole truth, simply take the engine apart and measure. No big deal, especially that these motors are not worth much these days.

Lee,

Agreed, 100%! But sometimes you can’t break down an engine unless you buy it! My “1.6-liter heads on 2.0-liter blocks” language was simply emphasizing that 40-year-old engines are not always factory-intact after 40 years, and people sometimes knowingly and sometimes unwittingly make bad decisions...but I don’t think this is a 1.6-liter block.?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

4 hours ago, Lee said:

The engine in the picture is clearly a 1.8l late e21 motor with the dreaded K-Jectronic injection.

yup.

that injection 'body' weighs more than the alternator...

note the 'diagnostic' port cap- that almost guarantees it's a US motor.

The alternator, though, is not BMW issue.

I can certainly say with no doubt over the internet that what you have right there is...

a dusty internal combustion engine.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL