• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: Early Style Trailing Arm

Slavs

The early and later trailing arms are not interchangeable. So, if you have the early sub-frame with trailing arms, the those trailing arms are also early, The early trailing arms have completely different bushings. They are mostly metal in a rubber tube. And, the rubber does not protrude out of the trailing arm.

I just swapped old style long nose diff swing arms into newer subframe with LSD diff. The only difference is the bushings I used from IE are slightly wider to fit into newer subframe. Everything else bolted up fine and it's in the car

rcf925 is correct above.

The trailing arms are essentially the same, except the bushings. Newer style bushings are wider to fit the wider mounting tab on the newer short neck sub-frame. I just took some measurements. The only differences are the flared openings for the newer style bushings in the newer style arms. This flare has probably something to do with the install / removal of newer style bushings. But, the older style bushings should fit perfectly in the newer style trailing arms. So, what I'm really looking for is a trailing arm for the 2002, as I'm running 2002 brakes at the rear. I would like the complete trailing arm with the bearings and hub, complete.

Andy,

The bearings should be the same at the rear.

But, at the front wheels, the axle stub is actually larger for the 1600-2 from 66-to mid 69. So, the inner bearings at the front wheels are 2mm larger from that of the 2002, while the outer bearings are the same. The 1600 has beefier inner bearings at the front wheels compared to the 2002. The tii has yet larger bearings at the front.

Someone may have installed the larger 2002 drums on your 67 1600. Or, Somebody may have installed the entire rear sub-frame and trailing arms from a 68-mid 69 2002, which used the long neck diff, similar to that of the 1600, but in a 3.64 ratio. Does the sub-frame you removed have the tabs to mount a sway bar ? If not, it is a 67 1600 sub-frame. Otherwise, it is a 68-mid 69 2002 sub-frame.

I'm interested if it has the 2002 brakes and if you have not disassembled them and removed the hubs and axles. I prefer the factory bearings, if they are in good shape. 

Do you have a pic ?

I bought and built this car for a customer in 1974. It had to be a 67 because in 74, a 68-up needed smog stuff. Unless I changed it, it's stock 1600. The trick is remembering what I did. I welded the rear swaybar mounts on the 1600 rear subframe. I probably converted the rear brakes to 2002 when I upgraded the front calipers and rotors and fitted the 2 liter motor and 5 speed. It has the 4.11 diff and old-style half-shafts.

The whole subframe assembly is in one piece - as lowered from the car - and I'll take some pics tomorrow.

And, I've been wrenching all day on my cars. It was a lot easier when I was younger. But, going back to the topic; I too had some sway bar tabs welded to my 67 sub-frame. My car also has a 4.11 diff with a 5 speed. It works better than the stock 2002 with 4 speed and 3.64 diff. But, I feel the car is still geared too low. A 3.90 seems ideal, but here in the US, it is rare in the long-neck form. I thought about installing a long neck diff in 3.64 ratio from a 68 2002. I have one. But, that may push me in the opposite direction where 5th gear may be too tall. I just have a stock 2 liter for optimum fuel economy and driveability.  I've checked with some local 2002 shops concerning availability of a good trailing arm. But, I haven't gotten a chance to get out and see anything. I don't know if you want to separate your rear sub-frame and trailing arms. You may want to sell it all together. If you do, Do you have a price in mind ? I,ve installed newer style half shafts on my 67.

Alot of good info and practical knowledge here. Slavs you have the setup I was going for in my January '69 1600-2.

The 4.11 is the main reason I was gonna keep my long nose but, I see you think the gears are too high? (I think you have your low and tall reversed)

What 5 speed are you using and how did you accomplish the drive shaft?

Do I only have to replace the subframe to go with a short nose diff?

I've already replaced the half shafts and have 237mm brakes.

Sorry none of this gets you any closer to a trailing arm.

M_

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

15 hours ago, Slavs said:

I'm interested if it has the 2002 brakes and if you have not disassembled them and removed the hubs and axles. I prefer the factory bearings, if they are in good shape. 

If Andy doesn't have what you need, I have a pair of 2002 trailing arms in San Diego.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)