• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Year! New Bumpers! 25% OFF stock through January 31st!!

02bumpers

More like welding the holes from the previous US bumper, mainly the rear bumpers. There’s that, the alignment of the bumpers so the same space is left on both sides, the other issue is that the front brackets tie into the frame so you need to remove the battery and again fiddle with for a proper fit, same with the rear brackets. The rear will have bigger holes to fill, Butt once completed the car looks fantastic, get rid of the tumor lights and do the insert lights for the rear license plate, much cleaner look. Chris will send you the metal squares to cover the front holes. Let me know if there’s any other questions I too had 100 questions before I started the conversion.

Cheers,

Mf

2 hours ago, Mario Falfan said:

More like welding the holes from the previous US bumper, mainly the rear bumpers. There’s that, the alignment of the bumpers so the same space is left on both sides, the other issue is that the front brackets tie into the frame so you need to remove the battery and again fiddle with for a proper fit, same with the rear brackets. The rear will have bigger holes to fill, Butt once completed the car looks fantastic, get rid of the tumor lights and do the insert lights for the rear license plate, much cleaner look. Chris will send you the metal squares to cover the front holes. Let me know if there’s any other questions I too had 100 questions before I started the conversion.

Cheers,

Mf

Great info. Thank you much. 

Yeah its 99% filling various holes used by the big bumpers...

The hardest decision for me was whether to go with long or short bumpers. Long bumpers replace the side molding behind the rear wheel while short bumpers keep the side molding. I went with short SS bumpers from 02 bumpers. Pretty happy with the overall result. Body work did cost more than the bumpers. I used a different company's conversion brackets and had to do some cutting and welding to make them work. 

P_20171028_090500.jpg

P_20171028_090440.jpg

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

14 hours ago, Mario Falfan said:

Post a pic of the car... so we can see how it turned out.

Very sharp Mario nice job!

My car is in winter storage too much salt on the roads up here in Boston!  I’ll see if I can dig up a pic.  

• Like 2

Is 02 Bumpers affiliated with Bluntech (Minnesota)? Is 02 Bumpers located in SLO, CA but bumpers ship direct to customer from Vietnam? Or do they go to 02 Bumpers first, then the customer? (I go to SLO often to visit family and could save on shipping if they go to SLO first and I can pick up)

What is required for maintenance on these items? Polish with metal polish as needed as if they were chrome? I recall 02 Bumpers used to offer both chrome and SS

Are custom orders available? Are customer-supplied original stock (chromed) bumper guards/horns interchangeable with these SS bumpers, or will there be fitment issues? I'm interested in a front bumper but don't need the horns, and only need the rear center bumper section.

Thanks!

Ryan in SF

Just now, golf73 said:

Is 02 Bumpers affiliated with Bluntech (Minnesota)? Is 02 Bumpers located in SLO, CA but bumpers ship direct to customer from Vietnam? Or do they go to 02 Bumpers first, then the customer? (I go to SLO often to visit family and could save on shipping if they go to SLO first and I can pick up)

What is required for maintenance on these items? Polish with metal polish as needed as if they were chrome? I recall 02 Bumpers used to offer both chrome and SS

Are custom orders available? Are customer-supplied original stock (chromed) bumper guards/horns interchangeable with these SS bumpers, or will there be fitment issues? I'm interested in a front bumper but don't need the horns, and only need the rear center bumper section.

Thanks!

Ryan in SF

Hey Ryan, 

02bumpers is not affiliated with Blunt, however, we do work together on occasion. The bumpers are manufactured in Vietnam, then sent to San Luis Obispo (more specifically Morro Bay) where they are then distributed to the customer. I am more than willing to meet for a local pickup. 

We have discontinued the chrome bumpers and offer only stainless due to the stainless steel's superior traits over chrome plated steel. You can buff out scratches with a buffing wheel and use metal polish to shine them up. You will never have to worry about buffing through any playing because there is none!

I'll PM you about your custom order. 

Thank you for your interest!

-Chris

2 hours ago, 02bumpers said:

Hey Ryan, 

02bumpers is not affiliated with Blunt, however, we do work together on occasion. The bumpers are manufactured in Vietnam, then sent to San Luis Obispo (more specifically Morro Bay) where they are then distributed to the customer. I am more than willing to meet for a local pickup. 

We have discontinued the chrome bumpers and offer only stainless due to the stainless steel's superior traits over chrome plated steel. You can buff out scratches with a buffing wheel and use metal polish to shine them up. You will never have to worry about buffing through any playing because there is none!

I'll PM you about your custom order. 

Thank you for your interest!

-Chris

Thanks Chris! PM sent

I just purchased a beautiful rear short bumper fromChris of 02bumpers and the quality is over the top. Plus, doing a transaction with Chris is A++ and very professional. He replied on time and he provide a complete detail and shipping tracking number for smoother process. I highly recommend doing business with 02bumpers and top quality products. Price is very good but, the quality is top level. I saw his 02 beltline quality and fitment and I love it. Plus, it’s made of stailess steel. Looking forward to buy his complete set of beltline. Again, Thanks again Chris. Cheers! 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Near as I can tell the biggest issue I have encountered with a new rear bumper manufactured by 02 Bumpers is that the shorty end pieces appears to be about .25-.5" shorter at the front tip than the factory original.  What this causes, and you can see it in one of Mario's images above is the bumpers doesn't protrude far enough forward to fit closer to the natural body indentation.  While this is not a show stopper it points to either a design flaw(Measurement) or a manufacturer flaw not making them long enough.  Either way they don't look show class with that gap.  However if it's an everyday bumper you are looking for, they definitely fit the bill.  I give them overall a 6 out of 10, due to fitment issues.

6 minutes ago, 69Bimmer02 said:

Near as I can tell the biggest issue I have encountered with a new rear bumper manufactured by 02 Bumpers is that the shorty end pieces appears to be about .25-.5" shorter at the front tip than the factory original.  What this causes, and you can see it in one of Mario's images above is the bumpers doesn't protrude far enough forward to fit closer to the natural body indentation.  While this is not a show stopper it points to either a design flaw(Measurement) or a manufacturer flaw not making them long enough.  Either way they don't look show class with that gap.  However if it's an everyday bumper you are looking for, they definitely fit the bill.  I give them overall a 6 out of 10, due to fitment issues.

Thank you for the feedback. We have since adjusted our molds to more accurately represent the OEM bumper specs. Please reach out if you have any issues. 

Best regards,

Chris