• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Esty of sun visors

worzella

The plexi -or acrylic, I don't know- came out of dad's basement and I think he picked it up decades ago from a printing plant.

The hinges in the corners were taken from poor standard visors, the hooks at the other end are made from aluminum tubes with some rubber tape.

hen

15 hours ago, golftii said:

Wonder why they chose RHD visors to reproduce? Surely they could have put the mirror on the right (passenger) side.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

Wonder why they chose RHD visors to reproduce? Surely they could have put the mirror on the right (passenger) side.

+1

I have the same complaint, Les!

Here’s a theory. As with most of my theories, I’m pulling this out of....the air.... ?

The LHD OEM visors went NLA many years ago (by “LHD”, I mean no mirror on the left side, mirror on the right side). For some unknown reason, BMW appeared to have RHD OEM visors available for the last decade. I have a pair which I bought from BMW perhaps five years ago. Maybe someone accidentally over-ordered or mis-ordered RHD visors, or the manufacturer over-estimated demand for RHD visors.

The scene is set. Lots (perhaps a majority?) of ‘02 owners, seeing the RHD visor sets available for the last decade, may not realize that a mirror on the left, no mirror on the right is a RHD set. They may not realize that there were LHD and RHD sets. Did the party reproducing the visors realize they were producing a RHD set? I’d wager they didn’t.

I’ve dragged my feet about installing my OEM RHD set precisely because they are RHD. As with a 123 distributor, I figure I’ll eventually cave.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’ve dragged my feet about installing my OEM RHD set precisely because they are RHD. As with a 123 distributor, I figure I’ll eventually cave.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Dude the 123 is sweet if your dizzy is shot like mine. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

17 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’ve dragged my feet about installing my OEM RHD set precisely because they are RHD. 

Mate, the side that the mirrors are on are just a construct of the patriarchy.

Just embrace the RHD. 

• Haha 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/