• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Choke Power

ingramlee

My car is a manual 4 speed 73 Non Tii with a manual choke Weber 32/36. I am thinking about replacing the manual Weber with an electric Weber 32/36 or possibly a 38/38. Where is the best/simplest place to get power for the electric choke. I assume it has to be a switched +12v... but maybe not. Thanks in advance.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Since you have a carbureted '73, take a close look in the vicinity of the carb.  Unless a PO has snipped the wire, you'll find an un-used black wire with an insulated female terminal on the end.  Check with your voltmeter, but I'll bet you'll find that it's live only with the ignition on.  It was not used on US cars, and just dangled there, taped to another wire that was used.  It'll work just fine for your 38/38 electric choke.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you all. It appears that someone must have removed the spare switched +12v wire mentioned by Mike. I will probably take Martin Cote's advice and find switched +12v at the fuse panel

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.